Microsoft Installer (MSI) versions

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by MikeBCda, Feb 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

This might not be the right place for this one, but nowhere else obvious jumped out at me ...

Scanning through my Add-Remove listing, I've apparently got umpteen versions of MSI showing as installed, as follows:

• MSI30-Beta1
    • MSI30-Beta2
    • MSI30-KB884016
    • MSI30-RC1
    • MSI30-RC2
    • MSI30a-KB884016
    • MSI31-Beta
    • MSI31-RC1

This seems like a little much. Can I safely uninstall any of these without hurting whatever needs to be retained (I'd guess, admittedly in ignorance, that only the last one is really necessary)? Thanks.

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Check which version you are using. Type msiexec /? in the command prompt.

If I were asking myself this question, I would go with the version that shows I am using and uninstall the rest of them.

That's what I would do. What you do is up to you. :D

3. MikeBCda

Thanks, Ron. It's showing active version as 3.01.4001.5512, which bears no relation (that I can see) to anything shown as installed. That list, by the way, came from the "expanded" Add-Remove list in JV-16 PT, not Win's Add-Remove.

Best bet would seem to be just leaving them alone, thanks.

4. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

5. MikeBCda

Thanks again, Ron, think I already saw that one while I was Googling elsewhere. Oh, and I marked the version incorrectly above ... both the exe and the dll are ver. 3.1.--, which is correct for SP3, not 3.01.-- as I'd previously noted.

One thing I could try is deleting all but the latest from that list, and if worse comes to worst, use my handy RestoreIT to restore my HD to its status as of bootup this morning.

Guess we can close this one even though there's no clear answer -- I'll leave the thread as is briefly in case anything interesting happens from my cleanup attempt. I should probably pose essentially the same question over at the Macecraft forums, since it might be a case of JV-16 mis-identifying files and/or registry entries.

6. MikeBCda

Just an update, and then I guess this one can be closed (unless, of course, someone comes up with new contributions), even though not really resolved.

Last night I tried uninstalling all but the most recent version of those MSIs, via JV-16 since they don't show up in the "regular" add-remove list, and in each case I got an error message to the effect that uninstallation data was "improper". So I said the heck with it and just deleted them from the add-remove list to trim it down. Probably means they "exist" only in registry entries and for whatever reason those aren't showing up as errors in the reg cleaner, probably because they're inherently part of the Win system.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.