Microsoft IE Not Responding On Logon

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Kas, Jan 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kas

Kas Registered Member

I am using Windows XP Home with SP3 and IE7.
    I am on automatic updates and my system is bang up to date.

I have Comodo IS, Spybot, AVG, Spyware Terminator and Spywareblaster all
    at my disposal. I have 85% free space and defrag every day. I also carry out manual spyware and virus scans daily or every two days. My system is shown clean.

Within the past 10 days or so, I have had repeated failures logging on to IE when clicking the desktop icon. IE comes up quick, but the nothing else happens. Task Manager says "not responding". I end the program and start again - IE usually logs on with the second try.

The Microsoft error report is sent off and the "more information" gives the following astonishing explanation ;-
    PASTED COPY OF MICROSOFT COMMENTS AS UNDER
    --------------------------------------------------

Problem caused by Windows

This problem was caused by Windows, which was created by Microsoft Corporation.

There is no solution for this problem at this time. However, your computer might be missing updates that can help improve its stability and security.

Recommendation

Go online to install high-priority updates from the Windows Update website.

Click to go to the Windows Update website:

Windows Update

Click Express to scan for high-priority updates.

If any updates are found, click Install Updates.

Note
    If you have turned on Automatic Updates, you might not see any high-priority updates listed. If this is the case, the updates have already been downloaded to your computer.

******* END ********

INCREDIBLE !!!!! So we carry on ending "not responding" every time we try to logon to IE and THEY do nothing !! Neither do they say they intend to !

PLEASE o_Oo_O
    Has anybody else got this problem. If so what steps do you take ?

Many thanks
    KAS
    :argh:

2. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

3. Kas

Kas Registered Member

I posted this item a few weeks ago and got only one reply.

Browsing the net and other Forums, this IE "not responding" seems to be a problem experienced by many users globally. Although there are a huge number of comments, nobody seems to have an answer.

The most common suspicion is that it is due to some Microsoft update.

My cross-to-bear is that when I log onto IE, I get a "not responding" and have to use Task Manager to kill it off. I then get a MS panel asking for a report - so damn it, I send it EVERY time and will do until they get fed up with hundreds of reports flowing in.

The second logon goes OK. This problem is recent - about 2 months ago I would guess. AND I SUSPECT A MS UPDATE TOO !

I use Windows XP Home, IE7 and Outlook Express 6.

OK, here we go again ; many answers glibly say if we use Firefox the problem does not exist. FINE ! but I don`t want anything to do with Firefox having tried it. IE7 works perfectly for me and i want nothing to do with Firefox.

There are NO bugs in my system - it is as clean as a babies butt.
    It has just got to be MS.

Any comments ?
    KAS
    :argh:

4. LenC

LenC Registered Member

I was having a similar problem - IE7 coming up very slowly or completely hanging. I needed task manager to kill it.

It turned out it was one of my home page websites that was running very slowly - and that was interrupting the overall start process. Try changing your homepage(s) temporarily to a single website you know is operating properly - see if that helps.

5. Kas

Kas Registered Member

You have a point there LenC. I use iGoogle as my HP. I do have a lot of crap on it - you know, calendar, clock, map, exchange rates and God knows what.
    It does take a while to load WHEN IE decides to climb out of it`s coffin.

I`ll try the standard Google search screen and see what happens.
    The only thing is, I have had iGoogle for a long time and although it has always been slow to load, I NEVER had this IE "not responding" before about 2 months ago or less. So, I reckon the problem is not as simple as changing my HP.
    KAS :eek:

6. PROROOTECT

PROROOTECT Registered Member

7. LenC

LenC Registered Member

Kas -

It's hard to figure. The site I've had difficulty with is www.nytimes.com. For quite a while, it was my wife's home page and mine also, and we never had a problem. Recently, it started creating IE7 sign-on problems on my computer occasionally (XP all updates), and my wife's computer frequently (vista all updates/ newer stronger machine, also IE7)

I removed it as the home page from both computers and we now access it as a favorite. Neither my wife nor I have problems when we navigate to it (at least not yet:argh:).

Go figure.

Len

8. Kas

Kas Registered Member

It`s KAS again.
    I have explored most of the suggestions made. Some I do not think are applicable and some others I dare not go too far on in fear of wrecking a boat with one hole in it by drilling more.

When I hit the IE icon to enter this MS wonder-world, it goes through to the MS screen. Then it sticks there, with the little light either motionless or blinking. Nothing else happens - I grow older.
    I then use Task manager to kill it - NOT RESPONDING of course. TM takes a long time to find it`s jugular vein and tear it out, then back to the desktop.

Every time I then repeat the process for the second time - NO PROBLEM - it works !
    It is THAT first shot that fails. My second shot hits the bulls-eye.

HELP world, how come the first barrel misfires ?
    KAS

9. MICRO

MICRO Registered Member

When you refer to 'logging on to IE' does that mean opening it ?
    If so, and while it's sitting there, do you get the
    M$ Error Reporting Tool dialog box popping up each time ?

It sounds like the same as I was copping, but with me it was on SP2 not long after I installed XP, all the updates, SP2 and IE7 - and that dialog was driving me up the wall - IF,IF, it's the same pita problem I inadvertently stopped it
    while trying to Disable as many of the dreadful M$ services as I could, and believe, rightly or wrongly that when I Disabled, via
    Start - Administrative Tools - Services, or however one reaches Services,
    the 'Error Reporting Service' and the problem has been gone ever since.

Please note - I was dumping other Services near that time but I BELIEVE it was the one mentioned, at least on MY machine, that stopped it.
    Maybe it's worth a try because it's a simple move to Re-enable it.

10. Kas

Kas Registered Member

Having tried just about everything, including a standard Google HP, I still have ;-

Logon to IE, get "no responding".
    Bring up Task Manager and End Task.
    Click IE icon a second time.
    It then goes through OK.

I always have to click the IE icon twice after ending the first shot because of "no responding" before I get IE on the second attempt.

This is ridiculous, anybody got a clue to cure it ?
    KAS

11. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.