Microsoft Hit By U.S. DOT Ban On Windows Vista, Explorer 7, and Office 2007

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by tgell, Mar 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tgell

tgell Registered Member

Give this guy a silver star.

http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=197700789

2. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

3. tgell

tgell Registered Member

4. Ice_Czar

Ice_Czar Registered Member

Re: FAA May Ditch Microsoft's Windows Vista And Office For Google And Linux Combo

the first part of course refers to
    Microsoft Hit By U.S. DOT Ban On Windows Vista, Explorer 7, and Office 2007 (March 2nd)

5. VikingStorm

VikingStorm Registered Member

Re: FAA May Ditch Microsoft's Windows Vista And Office For Google And Linux Combo

I really don't get this move to Google Apps. You have less functionality than normal applications due to limitations of a browser interface, and you are storing your data at a third-party location. Shouldn't he be looking at Open Office instead?
    My view is that web-based applications should only be a complement not a replacement for normal applications.

6. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, VikingStorm

He should be looking to Linux. :eek:

Take Care,
    TheQuest :cool:

7. Ice_Czar

actually they are
    Dell running Linux with a thin client > Google aps

offering two great advantages
    1. price
    2. simplicity (as in easier to verify\secure)

ditching the desktop is the point ;)

8. Rilla927

Rilla927 Registered Member

Boy, both of these organizations not upgrading, that doesn't say much for Vista does it.

9. VikingStorm

VikingStorm Registered Member

Until Google sells a Google Apps Appliance you can host yourself, I wouldn't want to depend on Google to store your data, especially if you are a government agency.

10. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Interesting decisions. I couldn't agree more about Vista. Not sure I see the point with IE7, just wasn't a big deal. Office 2007 is another story. I am a heavy Ms Office user, have looked at open office and just don't like it. I upgraded to 2007, and yes for a couple of days I went thru, the "where did the put..." However once I've found stuff, and have been using it, I like it, and a lot of tasks have gotten easier. It runs fine on XP, so that isn't an issue.

11. fred128

fred128 Registered Member

First we read that more end users are asking Dell to install Linux and now it's the FAA.
    Does anyone have any ideas on why this may become a trend? Is it the security problems in Windows or are people getting fed up with the constant, monthly patching of Windows or is it everything?

12. Rilla927

I agree!

13. Rilla927

IMO I think it's a combination of everything. Microsoft's prices are even higher than ever before.

14. tgell

tgell Registered Member

Yea,
    Installing a new computer with Vista Ultimate + Office Pro will set you back about $800! :thumbd:

15. TheQuest

Hi, Ice_Czar

Well that story may not be clear as it seem. o_O

They will use Novell SuSe. :cautious:

Where by Novell Inc and M$ have already been into bed together. :ninja:

Take Care,

16. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Peter, besides initial weirdness (natural when changing programs), what's missing in Open Office? Seriously, i'm asking you this.

You just gave MS Office 2007 a chance, you said so that you didn't know where some things were.

Besides not being familiar with it, what features does it lack, for you personally?

Regarding the topic, well, if they are awake, as in not sleeping, it's only natural to think real good before moving to Vista...

17. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

That is just smart business mgt by Novell and M$. Some good may come out of it.
    Who is that masked hero. He may not have much of a career trajectory if MS gets hold of him :eek:
    Great effort.
    Ug to Blista for any corporation is a staggering cost and prolly bloody hard to justify.
    Wonder how much digging and pressure is skullduggering behind the scenes.
    Not tat MS is anything but a paragon of fair play. ;)

@tgell $800 is that all:
    down here ~$1100 plus new HW ~ $1200 and even then can't even run what you want: that's what I call a good upgrade. heh.

18. Ice_Czar

you have to consider the effect that opensource adoption by other national and state governments has played whenever judging a bureaucrat or elected officials "statement" that alternatives are under "consideration"

its almost a prerequisite these days in the "ass covering game" which is government :p

Not that the huge difference in cost doesnt make this a potentially serious consideration. What you can bet on however is that whatever course is finally adopted, the due diligence in ass covering will be greater than the due diligence of compatibility, cost and foresight. :p

19. TheQuest

Hi, Longboard

Who is kidding Who now. :(

He is not meant to be a hero, but as to Skulduggery. :D

Take Care,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.