Microsoft Has Windows 7 Beta Download Link Ready

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by dw426, Dec 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

2. Dogbiscuit

Dogbiscuit Guest

How so?

3. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Well, my OPINION is that Vista has been an overall failure. It's just now seeing more use, but still not widely adopted. Obviously people are holding on to XP for dear life as also in the news today, MS pushed back XP's official death once more, this time the date is May 30th. IMHO, if Windows 7 were to come out in 2009, and proved to be an excellent release without too many issues, then Vista, again, IMHO, would be given Windows ME status. In other words, Vista would become a long anticipated, expensive, "why bother?".

4. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

Any idea when ready for public?

5. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I didn't see any information on it, no. However, I would FIGURE that if they are putting the page up and linking the download, even if it isn't activated yet, then it must be close. But who knows, it is MS we're talking about:)

6. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

LOL.... and the stay of execution for XP could be an indicator.

7. Dogbiscuit

Dogbiscuit Guest

I can't really disagree with any of your comments. Though, personally, I'm still not sure I would choose the term "failure" to describe Vista. It's still generated relatively healthy profits for Microsoft, AFAIK.

But if you assume that Vista should have replaced XP on many more of the world's computers by now, then I can see how "overall failure" could describe that.

Looking forward to the beta in a few weeks.

8. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Personally I think 90% of the failure is due to UAC, and 10% is due to negative publicity. Those two things combined, I don't think Vista could have ever been as popular as XP, even if Windows 7 wasn't due to replace it soon.

9. Dogbiscuit

Dogbiscuit Guest

Yes, UAC can be really annoying and at times useless, if a user clicks through the prompts.

10. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

MS needs to start doing things the Unix/Linux way.

Run the box as a user, need admin access, popup a GUI, or terminal and gain admin access, simple and painless. This is real security now! :)

11. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Isn't that pretty much how UAC works now?

12. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

lots of people want linux to be more like windows too, i've seen loads of threads about it - maybe they should get together :doubt: windnux - windows, but like linux, no malware and hangs all day long.

edit. i know i sound like a MS basher, i'm not. i just bash vista because i can't get it working, i loved XP and hope Windows 7 is good.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2008
  13. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

UAC has never bothered me yet, after 5 months of use here... I don't know what people are complaining about.

And what does it mean that Windows 7 is coming perhaps soon? I don't think it means anything, other than MS wants to market the next product and make more money. The new products just keep on rolling off the MS assembly line, year after year, this one is no different....

14. Dogbiscuit

Dogbiscuit Guest

Some of the non-technical people I know find that they do not understand the alerts, and get more confused when there are several in a row. So they click through them.

15. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I click thru 'em too, cause most of them are meaningless... But I don't find it particulary annoying, I suppose cause they don't appear that often for me. It would probably be easier for the average user without it though, I'll grant you that...

16. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Right there is the problem, it's almost like being forced to use HIPS, and technical and non-technical people may not want that. You can turn off UAC of course, but then you are at risk of lowering system security. It can be a no win situation for some.

17. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I hate HIPS in general for that very reason, yet somehow, the UAC prompts just don't seem that frequent here and hence, not annoying for me. I think security-wise, I'd prefer to have them though. But for a non techie, they're probably more confusing that not.

18. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

19. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I have no doubt at all that UAC annoyances depend almost entirely on how the system is used. If you don't download and run a lot of things, UAC may very well keep to itself until needed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.