Microsoft has just released Internet Explorer 7.

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by wilbertnl, Oct 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

2. Tommy

Tommy Registered Member

IE 7 worth to install?

As it is official now, a simple question. As somebody who does not use Internet Explorer is it advisable to install it anyway? Are there security improvements with this install or are they covered by other patches?

3. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

Re: IE 7 worth to install?

D'l`ing it now. Not that MS servers were ever known for their speed, but WOW, they must really be getting whacked. It is trickling in........:cautious:

4. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Article

5. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

IEblog

6. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Having gone thru the beta and release candidate stages....I personally feel Microsoft has gone about as far as they can go in a balancing act of security and useabilty. As it is with any browser....the user themselves need to be informed of what their browser choice can accomplish and with the knowledge they have gained of what vulnerabiltiies lie on the super highway....they need to fine tune their settings. As for IE 7....it is still part of the OS as many have harped but if one can remove themselves for a moment from that sticky thought....they'll find script and ActiveX is now controlled about as much as Microsoft can control them compared to out of the box insecure IE 6.

YMMV,
    Bubba

7. Ralphie

Ralphie Registered Member

Personally I see no reason for getting and using IE7. It will undoubtedly require more hard drive space and possibly even more oomph to run it. IE6 has worked flawlessly for me. You just have to keep your firewall up and your anti-virus up-to-date.

8. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

I would not want to have outdated IE6's files (vulnerable) in PC, even if I would not use IE.
    It is known, that IE is part of the OS and its parts affects other software as well, not just IE.

9. Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake Registered Member

Try going to this address in IE7 and then try it in Firefox...

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=147280

Computer and Video games.

IE7 is a slow as a month in jail hanging by your ankles. I opened it in Firefox after opening it in IE7, read the whole article, clicked on all the pictures and viewed them and IE7 still hasn't loaded the page. In fact I've browsed here, scrolled down, found this post and replied to it and IE7 still hasn't loaded that page! I have switched off the pop-up blocker and the anti phishing thing to see if it's faster too!!

Still Firefox for me then.

10. King FN Kong

King FN Kong Registered Member

11. smith2006

smith2006 Registered Member

12. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Having just downloaded it about half an hour ago, very fast download by the way, I can say that at the moment I have found no problems. It is working fast for me, I like the tabbed browsing ( I also use opera so I like that feature).
    I think everyone will have their own ideas about what features they like in what browser and their reasons for that. I think it all depends on personal choice, and how each person uses the internet.

13. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    Just gone through the available add-ons for IE7.
    For a moment, I felt sadness. This is like a poor immitation of a younger brother trying to look up to his older brother - FF being the older that is. But someone, it does not quite work out. A genuine moment of true sadness.
    But then I saw most of the things cost money ... And are not really IE add-ons but more accompanying programs. They even offer Proxomitron!
    'Orrible.
    Mrk

P.S. Then I went to see the Rogue list on SpywareWarrior. Guess what! Some of the offered applications are on the list.

14. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Which items in particular do you feel match items on the Rogue list :doubt:

15. wilbertnl

Hm, so one single website can be an accurate measurement for the quality of web browsers.
    I actually wonder what this result is saying about that website itself. Did the designer not want it to load in IE? Did he never test it?

16. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i tryed it in both and loaded about the same.

17. HAN

HAN Registered Member

Pardon me for the dumb question but if I download the 15 MB file from MS for XP, is that all I need to install? IOW, can IE 7 be installed offline?

18. wilbertnl

That is correct, Han. Download it once, install it as many times as you like.

19. Tommy

Tommy Registered Member

Yes it's all. I installed it offline. IE only told me at the end of the setup, that it can't download the latest security updates and told me to do so later. I have done so, but no further updates have been available.

20. kdm31091

kdm31091 Registered Member

Still one darn feature missing I need: RECOVERY OF TABS IN A CRASH! Gah the one thing I need isn't there.

21. Tommy

Tommy Registered Member

After a while of surfing to whatever pages, i have to say that IE7 is awfull slow regarding loading.
    I can't do reasonable tests here for a while, but here it is way slower than other browser.

22. pvsurfer

pvsurfer Registered Member

Does IE7 install directly over IE6 and does it clean-out the old IE6 stuff?

23. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Yes
    Define stuff Please ?

If you mean does it remove sites from your Trusted or Restricted Zone....it does not. It also does not mess with your IE 6 Favorites or Links.

24. pvsurfer

pvsurfer Registered Member

Sorry Bubba - by 'stuff' I really meant the IE6 files. Putting it another way, can one return to IE6 if IE7 is not to their liking?

25. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Take a backup first and install IE7. If you don't like it restore your computer or use a test snapshot LOL

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.