Microsoft had a secret, genius reason for making an encyclopedia in the nineties

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Rasheed187, Jan 30, 2016.

1. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

2. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

An intersting read, but I got a good laugh out of the following:

3. allizomeniz

allizomeniz Registered Member

I loved Encarta when I first discovered it. It was great having an encyclopedia at your fingertips without a stack of books to lug around. The first version I owned was '97. I still have it and use it occasionally. It has some good animations that were dropped in later versions.

Now I've got the 2005 version. I like the world atlas and the dictionary, but to a lesser extent since I discovered Wiktionary. Sometimes the audio pronunciation of words is handy.

I wouldn't say it's what sold me on the idea of a PC though, the internet did that.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2016
  4. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Same over here, I still own the 1995 version, perhaps we should post a couple of screenshots. The audio and video files were fascinating to me, and in fact, it was sort of a preview of the internet. I didn't even know there was a 2005 version. BTW, nowadays I use Wikipedia, which is no surprise, I think most people do. But I did totally forget about Britannica.

http://www.britannica.com/

Last edited: Feb 2, 2016
  5. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

I had 1996, 1999, 2002, and 2005. It was a good product I would still be willing to pay for if it were still in production.

6. ArchiveX

ArchiveX Registered Member

Encarta...brings nice memories...;)