Microsoft had a secret, genius reason for making an encyclopedia in the nineties

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Rasheed187, Jan 30, 2016.

1. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

2. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

An intersting read, but I got a good laugh out of the following:

3. allizomeniz

allizomeniz Registered Member

I loved Encarta when I first discovered it. It was great having an encyclopedia at your fingertips without a stack of books to lug around. The first version I owned was '97. I still have it and use it occasionally. It has some good animations that were dropped in later versions.

Now I've got the 2005 version. I like the world atlas and the dictionary, but to a lesser extent since I discovered Wiktionary. Sometimes the audio pronunciation of words is handy.

I wouldn't say it's what sold me on the idea of a PC though, the internet did that.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2016
  4. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Same over here, I still own the 1995 version, perhaps we should post a couple of screenshots. The audio and video files were fascinating to me, and in fact, it was sort of a preview of the internet. I didn't even know there was a 2005 version. BTW, nowadays I use Wikipedia, which is no surprise, I think most people do. But I did totally forget about Britannica.

http://www.britannica.com/

Last edited: Feb 2, 2016
  5. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

I had 1996, 1999, 2002, and 2005. It was a good product I would still be willing to pay for if it were still in production.

6. ArchiveX

ArchiveX Registered Member

Encarta...brings nice memories...;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.