Microsoft: Firewalls are leaking

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by ronjor, Oct 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

ZDNet

2. BlitzenZeus

BlitzenZeus Security Expert

This person says they are like retarted routers, well folks this is a retarded speaker. Look at the firewalls windows has made... These provide less security than other software firewalls. I'm not sure the true knowledge of this person, but it really doesn't seem they have a good knowledge of many of the software firewalls, let alone, how to use them correctly.

3. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Therein lies the problem.

4. still_longhorn

still_longhorn Registered Member

Hi guys

At first, I thought this thread was about the long awaited public apology for their firewall. Not the case...

Its actually a salespitch on ISA 2004 and how great it is that it can run as a platform for a Zone Alarm/Kerio/Sygate with some of the features of Asmodeus because of its ability to run a 1-gig throughput. Blah blah blah...

It really sounds great until reality sets in and one realizes that up to 90% of break ins to sensitive data really come from within the trusted network. I am not talking of unleashing spyware on the employees here guys, but rather on investing more resources on IDS and the detection of employee intrusion attempts.

Still Longhorn

5. Marja

Marja Honestly, I'm not a bot!!

You would think M$ would keep on the down low about any thing to do with security, at least until they have a clue about their own.

It's scary to think how many movers and shakers actually listen(!!) to them making big announcements about how everyone else has a security problem with Windows, like it has nothing to do with Microsoft!!

There seems to be alot of that un-reality thinking going around this year. :)

6. meneer

meneer Registered Member

Not meant to be a troll..., but there are a few signs of improvement at MS. So far IIS 6 and ISA2004 are quite stable, no known vulnerabilities so far. If this development continues, who knows how safe the net will become.

Trouble is that despite the Trustworthy Computing initiative (started a few years back) still too many critical (read dumb) mistakes are made in coding. Even in the latest products. This can't be legacy (Office XP SP2, as I can recall, had some severe bug, while this bug was not present in SP1), it is newly built code.

I sincerely hope the improvements are no incidents, but will keep on using my old faithfull linux sme server and new desktop. And yes, they need to be patched too, once in a while.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.