Microsoft Confirms Windows XP SP3

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by WSFuser, Aug 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

http://rcpmag.com/news/article.aspx?editorialsid=8875

2. tradetime

tradetime Registered Member

Or break it ;)

3. coolbluewater

coolbluewater Registered Member

A M$ "improvement" in sp2 was limiting SYN TCP connections down to about 10 (their reasoning being to slow down the spread of malware; funny how it was kept relatively quiet from public knowledge) - a quick system event log searching for Event ID 4226 confirms this; luckily there's been a workaround that gets it back up to 50+.

4. maddawgz

maddawgz Registered Member

huh? so Sp3 is coming?
    Introduce new annoying bugs, opps, I mean "features", so people using XP will want to "upgrade" to Vista.

5. eniqmah

eniqmah Registered Member

And the patches that allows you to bring it back up are being flagged as malware.

6. coolbluewater

coolbluewater Registered Member

There is only one patch, and it's not malware - not sure where you're going to get your "patches".

7. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

SP3 makes sense. Wonder when it'll arrive.

8. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

SP2 released in 2004? :eek: :eek: :eek:
    Time flies...

9. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Hope SP3 is like SP2 not SP1.

SP1 was fn nightmare.

10. WSFuser

It was? I do remember SP2 breaking p2p apps and I think DEP also broke a few apps.

11. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

Unless MSFT makes a statement otherwise, one will not be able to legally buy Win XP After, I believe, January 2008.

12. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Won't SP3 just take and bundle all the various and miscellaneous updates after SP2 into one large update, perhaps adding a few more? If that's the case, then it shouldn't be any problem. Hopefully they won't bork it somehow in an attempt to push everyone into buying Vista... :p

13. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

I agree with Maddawg! We don't need sp3 what we need is the ability to choose what updates and features we want, and the ability to uninstall all the useless features that we don't use. That's fine if M$ doesn't want to sell XP any more because I don't need to buy it any more, either. But just a little free advice for Microsoft, the way to get people like me to buy something new is to make the new product better, not by removing the old product from the shelves.

-HandsOff

14. 072707

072707 Registered Member

Is "to slow down...malware" valid or just an excuse to further debilitate the OS?

What is the workaround? Can you explain how to install it?

Unfortunately, it seems clear they will choose the latter.

For some time, in my humble opinion, MS' new OS releases more and more transform one's computer into a big old, unsafe, resource hogging, toy with lots of 3D flashing lights that the average user will not be able to seriously and efficiently use as anything other than a glorified XBOX, dvd player, or wordprocessor or something.

Personally, I would prefer a serious, lean, computer not some bloated "gamebox". If I want an XBOX that is what I will buy; or I will CHOOSE(MS no longer knows the meaning of this word) to install hardware and software that will transform it into an XBOX, an Easy Bake Oven, or whatever.

MS, I am convinced, is decimating the ability of the average user to have a powerful, efficient and serious, personal computing device.

A few more incarnations of Windows and you will need a computer science degree in order to get the machine to do anything other than "Would you like to Play A Game, Watch a movie, Talk on the Telephone, or Bake a cake".

15. WSFuser

That "improvement" supposedly made it so worms couldnt spread as fast. I dont know if its valid though.

And teh workaround is to patch tcpip.sys using LvlLord's EventID 4226 Patcher. nLite and xp-antispy also let you patch tcpip.sys

16. Tunerz

Tunerz Registered Member

For people who reformat and lose the patches, SP3 can be a great help but I still doubt if it will contain ALl of the patches from the previous packs or just the patches starting from a specific month to the days before SP3 is released

17. WSFuser

Well it should be like other service packs where it replaces previous ones. So if you have WinXP w/o any service pack you can just use SP3; you dont need SP2 or SP1.

18. eniqmah

eniqmah Registered Member

People like you ( and me) probably make up about .5% sales for MS. They don't GAF.

19. 072707

072707 Registered Member

http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2195570/anti-virus-struggles-bit-vista

The above link helps, considerably, to make my point.

20. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

And worse still, when our computer melts down we are certainly less likely to spend big bucks on M$ support!

You hit the nail on the head, though. Our demographics are not such that our preferences will be considered. That's why I am always amazed when people turn to Microsoft every time something needs fixing. I turn to whoever has solved the problem!

-HandsOff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.