Microsoft compares its security to Linux- says MS is better?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by acr1965, Nov 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

I don't buy this at all. But at least it is interesting reading.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/columns/secmgmt/sm1007.mspx

"In contrast to the Linux model, Microsoft promotes security in its products through the Security Development Lifecycle (SDL)...

By almost any measure, the SDL has proven to reward Windows customers with less vulnerable operating systems."

2. HURST

HURST Registered Member

broken link?

3. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Link works fine here.......

4. Arup

Arup Guest

:D :D :D :D :D

Less I say the better.

5. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

I have'nt got time to read it all, but I remember there is a big issue over microsoft and linux calling a critical issue a different thing.

Also with Linux the bugs listed included ALL prepackaged apps that come with the distro, not just the core OS, so with Redhat thats a lot of cds worth.

6. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    And I say they are full of interesting wastage material ... Who cares what MS think or say. They will lose the battle one day.
    Mrk

7. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

I think you're referring to this:
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/security/security_report_windows_vs_linux/

Marketing. I don't care about these MS "articles" anymore. Waste of time.

8. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

maybe the article writter is correct? maybe he howls at the moon? i don't know o_O

but, i read one bit of it -
    Andrew Morton is the main guy after linus, but i looked up where he got the quote from and it goes on to say this -
    so, even if the kernel is getting buggier, or perhaps more people are working on it, development will be stopped so the bugs can be fixed. or maybe he means by "he may temporarily halt the kernel development process to spend time resolving issues." that they'll find a way to make things less buggy for good?, so that's not such a big deal.

he works for MS anyway, so i don't believe any of it!

9. Arup

Arup Guest

If Linux is getting buggier according to MS, what about their state of the art Vista, why is their older OS outscording the latest benchmarks. This article is as holey as an average MS OS is.

10. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

ROFL :D

Exactamondo!

It's always been most amusing to me and especially now that the minority Vista loyals rave over vista nearly as naive as Microsoft does for themselves in their PR campaigns & patch tuesday vulnerabilities.
    I mean, when you can emulate nearly every conceivable item in Vista for safely porting to XP systems, giving you virtually a Vista system complete with features/appearances and such minus the overhead systems requirements, it begs to cry, WHERES THE BEEF? :D

XP smokes Vista in every possible category and especially in the most important areas as concerns software/driver compatibility and perfomance WITH total security.

The very latest will not always be the greatest no matter the price or their claims to the contrary. Vista is a proven result of this.

11. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

How can I get user-mode audio drivers and per-application volumen control in XP? And DirectX 10? :blink:

12. clambermatic

clambermatic Registered Member

Last edited: Dec 1, 2007
  13. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

That's why i made it point to mention "nearly". LoL

There are some internals that are strickly fashioned and coded for that particular O/S.

14. clambermatic

clambermatic Registered Member

All new products' (specially softwares) initial releases got bugs! It only improves when new users added up... thru suggestions via problem encountered.

In the case of Penguin, from the very start it has involved minions of open developers in all walks of life. Hence even nwly derived-flavours are unprecedently - stable. For its much vaunted sec-features, which is well-known in software topography... credits had to be given to folks in Penguin communities. Or else Linux would be as buggy as winOS!

With regards to M$'s comments about buggier Linuxes... that's a clear-cut HYPERBOLE!

How can M$ compare minions of openSource developers/programmers in 'all' walks of life & employments against it's paid employees worldwide toiling on Linux flavours 24/7... vis-a-vis XP/Vista or future Windows - "CoCain" (my own term, as it tried to hook you early on) assuming that their worldwide development team headcounts were up to 125k (they don't have that, corporate wise) huh? o_O

One best example is FFox... borned from the world of openSource. Since it's rebirth (it originally devolved from Mozilla) and official launch, how much percentage has it eatened into IEs' market o_O

My prediction is this... anything developed in connivance with openSource developers and the openSource community, if done on focused-mode, shall produce a better product and headway against an oligopoly or monopoly! And the more it was maintained, the more its percentage share increase.

15. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

16. dNor

dNor Registered Member

What a shock Microsoft saying their product is better than another.

They have like PHDs in doing that. :cautious:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.