Microsoft Calculator Plus

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ronjor, Sep 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

2. Devinco

Devinco Registered Member

Thanks Ronjor,

Works great! :cool:

3. jwcca

jwcca Registered Member

Silly question, really, but what might happen if I try to run this on W2K? Is there likely to be a loud explosion? Or will it destroy my system? or just not work?
    Jim

4. Devinco

Hi Jim,

Well, you could try it. What's the worst that could happen?
    (Devinco covers ears, ducks, and heads for bomb shelter) :D

I don't think it would cause any major problems, it is not a system component, but I really don't know.

5. TheSnowGuy

TheSnowGuy Guest

Well folks..its like this on my machine the security would not even allow the program to open....."dangerous script" blocked.
    So if you guys can install the program so easily perhaps its time you took a real look at your security set-up or lack thereof.

As for if it can be installed on an os other than XP.....I don't use XP...was going to test it for Jim....but it was blocked of course...stated above.......I could continue but what would be the point.....my security would just knock it off the system.

6. TheSnowGuy

TheSnowGuy Guest

By the ways...the blocked script was <msi>

7. TheSnowGuy

TheSnowGuy Guest

My previous posts should not be mis-understood.....the calculator program may in fact be very good.....I do not know one way or the other......the point of the post is simple.....it appears there are Users who are not blocking protentially dangerous script....an not allowing themselfs that added security

8. Devinco

Hi TheSnowGuy,

That is a good point and thank you for the heads up.
    In my evaluation of the utility, I went through the following:

1. Would the utility be used frequently? Yes
    2. Was the link to the utility from a trustworthy source? Yes
    3. Did the link URL match the link text? Yes
    4. Was the download website for the utility the author's website or a trusted mirror? Yes
    5. Was the download website a trustworthy source? Yes (Though some may disagree about MS) :D
    6. Did the download pass all updated AV/AT scans? Yes

Upon launching the .msi install, Wormguard did pop up, as it usually does whenever you try to run a script install. I looked at the script source, but unless it said, "I AM A WORM, HERE I AM" I probably would have missed the malicious code if there was any.
    I decided to run it anyway, based on all of the above positive criteria.
    The program works as said and does not appear to have alterior motives that I can detect.

9. TheSnowGuy

TheSnowGuy Guest

Devinco

Its nice to see a person taking pre-caution.........much more of such behavior is dearly in need of by the masses...........

Wormguard is payware..is that correct ? For those that just may not be able to afford payware of this nature...there are a few FREE script detectors around that work very well...........

As for "safe computing".....without any hesitation I totally DIS-TRUST M$ and any and all products made by M$........

In regards to the Program afore mentioned.....I tryed to install it on a junk computer that has win98.......the Program would not install. So that should put that question to rest...

Thanks for sharing Devinco

10. Devinco

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make them drink.

Yes, WormGuard is payware from DiamondCS. It is sorely in need of an update (I am patient though). You can get by with some of the freeware apps out there. They don't have everything that WG has, but enough.

Fortunately the calculator isn't a security utility. I would hope that they are able to get simple mathematical functions right.

Windows2000 is, like XP, based on NT technology, so there is a chance it would work on Win2000 even if it doesn't work on 98.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.