Microsoft buying Nokia's mobile phone division

Discussion in 'hardware' started by FreddyFreeloader, Sep 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FreddyFreeloader

FreddyFreeloader Registered Member

http://www.wfaa.com/news/technology/Microsoft-buying-Nokias-mobile-phone-division-222118141.html

2. SweX

SweX Registered Member

3. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/...-to-build-250-million-data-center-in-finland/

4. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Worst business decision ever . . . only sell Windows Phone devices. Results: Bail out of the mobile phone industry.

5. guest

guest Guest

Isn't it just the same with Android? Sony only releases Android phones since the Sony-Ericsson flagship was dead.

6. Noob

Noob Registered Member

My point is, if Nokia would have taken decisions wisely and offer both ecosystems i'm 99% sure they would have not been in this situation where they are selling the mobile division for a BARGAIN!
    Sometimes i wonder how some of these guys get to be CEO's they are not worth a dime. :D

Before even going Windows "only", Windows Mobile was already doing really bad . . . what were they thinking about?

7. sm1

sm1 Registered Member

Build quality of nokia phones (especially the basic models) is very good. I accidently dropped my nokia phone so many times but it didn't suffer any damage:D and the life span of nokia phones is long:)

Now the hopes of nokia releasing android phones is nil. The future of nokia phones lies in the success of the windows phone platform. I heard that nokia windows phone had no FM radio and transfer of files between phone and PC could be done only through skydrive. Were they true? I personally wish nokia introduce dual sim windows phones:p

How is the battery consumption of windows phones? My android mobile drains battery quickly as I use it as a wifi hotspot.

8. guest

guest Guest

The main problem I have with Lumia phones is their size. They're awfully HUGE like a brick. Not my cup of tea.

9. lodore

lodore Registered Member

I know multiple people with nokia windows phones and they really like them.
    I am tempted to get one as well. this could be great.

10. FOXP2

FOXP2 Guest

This would seem to be a wise move in consideration of ever the increasing popularity of employee BYOD where (i.e. in the USA) Regulation P or HIPAA compliance is mandated in a properly audited and certified Windows served enterprise.

If a breech occurred and data compromised, as an IT admin I'd rather the reply to an interrogation would be that Billy in the accounting department was using a locked-down company audited Microsoft Nokia phone and not some rooted and hacked Android or iOS device running a find-the-nearest-energy-drink-vending-machine app with a persistent connections to InMobi and 15 other "personalizing" servers.

11. Raza0007

Raza0007 Registered Member

When I look at this situation I am amazed, how can Nokia's shareholders let this happen.Ever since the Microsoft executive Elop been appointed the CEO of Nokia, all he has done is to destroy Nokia to a point where it is not too expensive to purchase by Microsoft. Throughout his career, he has been asked questions on where his loyalties actually lie. Since 2010, Elop has managed to bring Nokia's share price down almost 85%, making it affordable for Microsoft to acquire. The proof is that instead of getting his ass fired, he has been rewarded my Microsoft by making him an executive.

Read this article on Wikipedia with all the references about Stephen Elop.

12. FreddyFreeloader

FreddyFreeloader Registered Member

I think Nokia shares were up 24% the day after this aquisition was announced, while Microsoft shares were down 4%.

13. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

From an investor's perspective, it looks like a good opportunity to profit.

From a technology perspective, it shores up Microsoft's hardware portfolio beyond the areas they have traditionally done well in (e.g., keyboards and mouses) and gives them some design, engineering and manufacturing capabilities in the post-PC space of smartphones and, one assumes, tablets.

From an IP and licensing perspective, this gives Microsoft access to Nokia's patents. It is difficult to compete in the cell phone space because of all the patents, and having access to Nokia's gives Microsoft an advantage in the licensing and litigating them.

As for other Windows Phone handset manufacturers like HTC and Samsung and ZTE, if it turns out they get access to some of the technologies that results from this deal, it could work out well for them as well.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

14. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

IMHO its a positive outcome to happen, but its negative that Nokia ended up in the situation for this to happen.

The move to Windows Phone exclusively was a good idea in the long run, but the way it was handled was terrible. Windows Phone platform itself did not help as WP7 early versions were very poor, later versions bettter, but was a dead end (no upgrade path and no forward app compatibility with WP:cool:.
    Nokia was bleeding money to fund the broken Phone section of the business and share holders became very unhappy, so its no wonder they were happy to let it get it spun off.

Was Elop was the cause of this, was it his plan all along ?
    An ex MS guy who put the future of the Phone division on the WP7 platform (even though MS itself admitted the early versions to be weak/poor) based on promise of success (re-entering the smart phone market place with no concrete evidence of ability to compete with iPhone, Android and even Blackberry at the time). Things don't go well, share prices plummet (even with the current rise due to sale to MS they are worth less than half when he started) and Elop buys up millions of shares whilst they are rock bottom, then MS offers to buy Nokia Phone division for cheap (less the Skype). Elop, despite of his continued failings to the shareholders get rehired back to MS.
    It's coincidently bad management or deliberate IMHO, either option is good for current Nokia and its shareholders.

Cheers, Nick

15. emmjay

emmjay Registered Member

Windows plus smatphone equals proprietary platform ... a closed system! Now that MS has Nokia's war chest, which they needed rather badly, they will have to focus on their app store to bring in the big bucks. Here they can not afford to fail. MS is in major catch up mode when it comes to their app store offerings and there seems to be no perceived value at this time. 'Me too' won't cut it.

It appears that MS is primarily concentrating on their consolidation of platforms strategy, so if they can get the glue and string working for them through advertising they just might get some takers in the short term, however I can not see a surge in converts.

16. SweX

SweX Registered Member

http://allthingsd.com/20130919/noki...yout-most-of-the-money-coming-from-microsoft/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.