Microsoft backpedals: Windows 8.1 update hides tile interface by default

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ronjor, Jan 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

http://www.theverge.com/2014/1/30/5362156/windows-8-1-update-1-boot-to-desktop-by-default

2. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

I'm expecting Microsoft to ditch the unpopular Metro interface when Windows 9 rolls out.

The software giant is quietly defeated due to consumer resistance. People just like the old interface.

So Microsoft will bring it back just like Coca-Cola was forced to bring back the old Coke.

But people could have told them that back in 2012 when Windows 8 rolled out and Redmond didn't listen. :thumbd:

3. Stigg

Stigg Registered Member

I don't know why they don't give the user the option at installation, just like other options.

I see the need for the Modern UI on small tablets, but not on desktops.

I actually had a browse through the modern apps today for the first time in ages to see if there was anything useful there, but it is still the same useless crap. :doubt:

4. NormanF

A one size fits all desktop does not work!

I would have upgraded to Windows 8x had Microsoft given me the ability to set up Windows on my device the way I want it.

The problem with their Metro or Modern UI is that it just plain sucks on the PC desktop from a usability standpoint.

I love Windows! Just not the way it was implemented. :rolleyes:

5. Stigg

Stigg Registered Member

And they are also finally making Modern Apps easier to use.

From the above article:
    Some images here.

6. NormanF

So they brought back the minimize, maximize and close interface to the Modern UI?

That already shows old dogs or in this case - people are highly resistant to learning new ways of doing things! Microsoft has been forced to graft familiar elements of the Classic UI on to Modern Apps to get users to try them!

Some originality! When something works, leave it well enough alone. Microsoft has reinvented the wheel. They realized what's their bread and butter and it isn't the much ballyhooed tablet market.

7. Stigg

Stigg Registered Member

8. NormanF

As Mrkvonic has observed, what's all this always on BS? Not every one wants to stay permanently yoked online! That's one of his pet peeves about Windows 8xx and the other is with those hideous live tiles that look like they were designed for people with schizophrenia! I can't even stand looking at them! o_O

9. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

That is good news. Closing apps by clicking and dragging the apps to bottom of the screen is a very awkward way doing it if you are using a mouse or touchpad.

However, I consider metro apps to only be suited to use on a touchscreen. Or to be more to the point I find idea of Windows being touch based idiotic. In my opinion it would have made a lot of sense to have a separate touchscreen only version of Windows which only runs metro apps.

One thing which would be nice to see fixed, but it doubt it will be is that when a Metro apps is opened from a regular desktop program, when you close the Metro app you are taken back to the Metro tiles screen rather than the program you were using originally.

10. roger_m

We can only hope.

11. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

Almost sounds like Windows 8 RT. It does still have the desktop though (if only for Office and perhaps some Control Panel settings).
    I believe this is already possible. Go to Taskbar Properties -> Navigation -> Check the box "When I sign in or close all apps on a screen, go to the desktop instead of Start"

12. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

The word is oligophrenia, much better :)
    But was I right in my reviews back then, yup ... as always.
    Mrk

13. NormanF

Not the same thing - if you want to avoid the stupid Start Screen, Classic Shell will bypass it and boot straight to the desktop. Microsoft is NOT removing the Modern UI, simply hiding it by default from most users with this forthcoming update. Sales of Windows 8.1 apparently haven't been all that great so it has to figure out how to lure back exasperated PC desktop users. But that's only a cosmetic fix and for Microsoft to admit the failure of its new-fangled interface shows that people like classic Windows! I am right in my prediction about what Windows 9 will look like and reports that Microsoft plans a reboot of the much beloved Windows XP to appeal to the nostalgia market appear increasingly credible. :thumb:

14. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

Windows 8.1 can boot straight to the desktop natively. Also my post was addressed to roger_m.

15. NormanF

Classic Shell does more than that - it supplies the Classic Start Menu found in all versions of Windows until Windows 8xx when Microsoft saw fit to remove it. That's what has saved the company's bacon. They're still saddled with a useless interface no one wants. :isay:

16. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Separate OS's for mobile and non-mobile would have been the way to go, but I think it's probably too late for that, unless they want to put in a lot of work to get there... I don't see it happening, frankly. I think they're still sold on the "mobile future" and just waiting for desktops/laptops to die out. Who knows..

17. roger_m

Thanks, I'll have a look at that.

18. moontan

moontan Registered Member

i few new options are available in 8.1

the most useful for me was not to trigger the Charm Bar when trying to close a program with the X at upper left.

right-click Taskbar/Navigation

19. mattdocs12345

mattdocs12345 Registered Member

That's fine with me. Others will pick up the ball. Desktops are not going anywhere.

20. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

They already tried mobile OS's with Windows Phone 7, Kin, Windows Mobile, maybe 4th time lucky ?

Windows 8 was a delayed reaction to try getting into the Tablet market. Windows Phone 7 was too limited a platform (could not scale up) so they had to take Windows desktop OS and trim it down as best they could. Atleast the wisely took their knowledge gained from the WP7 touch UI into creating the Metro style Modern UI.

21. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

I've seen these changes suggested back when Windows 8 was in preview, with people stating the backlash it would cause.

It can only be down to 2 things. Either they were desperate to rush Windows 8 out (maybe to try and capture some sizable tablet market share ?) and could not incorporate feedback OR they have such huge inertia that this is actually them listening to feedback, but taking a long time to implement !

22. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

Those where suggested even earlier when 8 was in beta.
    MS decided not to implement them not because they were desperate to rush 8 neither because they did not listened to feedback. They were confident that the publicity and their hordes of paid and not supporters (=win 8 lovers) that flowed every public forum would be enough to brainwash everyone.
    Everyone would have loved windows 8, and with such a low initial price everyone would have upgraded, everyone would get accustomed with the Metro interface and eventually love it, so everyone would buy windows RT and windows phone devices...
    It was their decision to ignore their customers (not talking about fanboys here), and it backfired to them. All they do with 8.1 and updates is an effort to salvage whatever they can.

ps. At least they learned their lesson and stepped back before trying to do the same with their console and the always online DRM checking or with windows office 2013/365.

Panagiotis

Last edited: Feb 2, 2014
  23. mattdocs12345

mattdocs12345 Registered Member

I have a feeling that in Windows 9 or 10 they gonna split Windows into Windows Touch and Windows Desktop. At least that would be a smart thing to do.

24. taleblou

taleblou Registered Member

25. harsha_mic

harsha_mic Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.