Mgeeks has RegSeeker 2.5 out!

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ratchet, May 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

Has been working flawlessly for months on x64 W7 when used to hunt down specific entries. Same as it did on XP in the old days. Have never used it any other way but general cleaning with it has been reported very dangerous over the years. The Seeker!

2. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

The updated program is available on their website too, which incidentally has a new look: http://www.hoverdesk.net.

3. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

Very cool. Used this years ago back on Windows XP.

Thanks for the heads up!

4. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

Comes with a load of crapware too.

5. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

Doh really?

6. The Red Moon

Just tried it.

It installs 2 toolbars and a browser protect module which i did not want.

I told it not too install the delta toolbar but it ignored this and installed it anyway.

7. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

You had to select Advanced and then un-check three things. Cheap price for a potentially useful app.

8. Romagnolo1973

Romagnolo1973 Registered Member

Why people use installer when there is a great portable version too?
    Same thing happens with other usefull programs as Sumo or CCleaner and many others. People need learnig that portable version are better than installed

RegSeeker portable have same features but without crapware. I use it with no issue, the only important thing to do is setting registry backup before cleaning.

9. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

Even if you don't use the portable version, it only takes a moment to read through and untick undesired software:

hoverdesk.gif

10. The Red Moon

@tony w.

Thanks for the screenshot.I now see my error.i ticked the quick install.I falsely assumed the toolbar would not be installed as it was greyed out.

11. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

12. chachazz

chachazz Updates Team

No surprises if you go to the RegSeeker website - Hoverdesk..
    ( notice Major Geeks revamped site and dropped links to vendor sites/software).

2013-05-08_172633.png

Edit: add changelog ...

Includes Windows 8 support (beta), Firefox junk files and more !

Changelog:
    • New : Introducing Windows 8 support (beta)
    • New : AppInit_DLLs added in Startup entries (usually should be empty except for anti-virus)
    • New : Add Firefox support for Junk files
    • New : Junk files: option '-recurse' after path\files to recursively list the files.
    • For ex: d:\dev\*.bak -recurse will list all .bak files in all d:\dev subdirs
    • New : Junk files editor : browse for a folder button. Full path will be auto-modified with the
    • matching variable
    • New : Junk files editor : rule color : gray=disable, red=invalid path, blue=recurse
    • New : Junk files editor : option to open the path with a right-click on a rule
    • New : Junk files editor : Auto-select rules button
    • New : Recent files list : counter options, see recentfiles.ini
    • New : Add Junk files option to Auto-Clean panel
    • Improved : Invalid extensions detection (Registry Cleaner)
    • Improved : More StreamMRU cleaning (Registry)
    • Improved : Backup list sorted by date by default (most recent on top of list)
    • Improved : Estimated size for application list
    • Improved : PC System Information panel
    • Other : Command prompt context menu tweak (1 normal and 1 elevated) for Vista and above
    • Other : Fix Remove arrow on shortcuts tweak
    • Other : Some minor UI changes

Last edited: May 8, 2013
  13. hayc59

hayc59 Updates Team

This is not the point! some folks dont take the time and end up
    with all this crap ware....!!

14. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

It is the point; the screens are there for you to decide what to do before you click on the accept/confirm/next/OK button. I do know what you mean though. Some people just go ahead and click OK without much thought to what is presented before them.

On reflection, they could perhaps have worded it differently. Maybe say the Quick install includes the Delta Toolbar?

15. The Red Moon

Okay is anyone using this and how does it compare to regscanner..?

16. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

I tried using the latest version of Registry Seeker portable since it did not have the crap with it that the other installation had. The portable version would not run on my Windows 7 X64 Laptop. It gave me some error code, but I did not report it. I did not try to install the nonportable version.

I believe Registry Seeker is a great tool when in the hands of a high intermediate to professional level user. I would not recommend it to the average user though. Registry cleaners in general can cause much more harm than good when used by someone that does not understand how the registry works. I don't dare trust any registry cleaner to remove all the registry entries it finds without first looking through the results. Registry Seeker is a fine tool to save a lot of time of having to look through the registry for oneself because it finds so.. so.. much! An experienced user can look through the results of whats found, and remove only those registry entries known to be safe to remove. I usually don't remove, but about 25% of what most registry cleaners find. Anything i'm not positive is safe to remove I leave.

I myself rarely use a registry cleaner because I keep regular backup images of all my machines so that if a problem does occur during an installation or I decide some software is not what I hoped for then I can just roll my machine back with a good clean image. I almost always create a backup image just before installing new software. Also, if I ever do get infected then I don't have to worry about cleaning infected registry keys or deal with removing an infection from any other area as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.