Messenger Live help

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by Roar, Nov 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Roar

Roar Registered Member

Hello all, this is my first post here. :)

I'm evaluating ESET Smart Security on Vista X64 and need to know which EXE file should I enter under Tools=>File Transfers=>"Scan viruses using" option for antivirus protection under Messenger Live.

Thanks.

2. Kosak

Kosak Registered Member

Hi,

in the list of web browsers (HTTP advanced settings), you would select Live Messenger. There is full directory path for it and icon. I think that this issue will be selected. I recommend set up active mode yet. This option is under issue web browsers (for other applications like Firefox too).

:thumb:

3. Roar

Roar Registered Member

Thanks for the reply. Live Messenger is already selected in ESET Smart Security, but I have the opposite problem. I must select ESET Smart Security in Windows Live Messenger. I just need to know which *.EXE file in Eset Smart Security folder should I enter under Tools=>File Transfers=>"Scan viruses using". I have attached the screenshot to explain my problem better

Attached Files:

4. GAN

GAN Registered Member

This is discussed in the nod32 forum as well. You should use ecls.exe and some examples can be found here:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=190672

The only thing you have to change when using these examples is the path of course which is different when using ESS instead of nod32.

5. Kosak

Kosak Registered Member

I think that it isn't necessary to set up.:) Sorry, I can't test immediately, because I haven't got LM now. Try to test it with eicar test file => http://eicar.com

:thumb:

6. GAN

GAN Registered Member

It might not be necessary since the realtime scan will detect the threat anyway, but in case you don't want to use the same settings when scanning transferred files as the realtime scan it's an option to use this. Also more importantly is when using WLM you won't be able to transer all kind of files unless you actually use this feature. For example you won't be able to transfer .exe files unless this is enabled in WLM. So if testing with the file eicar.com WLM will not transmit the file unless you have a virus scanner enabled in WLM.

7. Alf_

Alf_ Registered Member

You don't need that option switch on. ESS automatically scans new files in the default setting (ESS > Setup > Advanced setup (F5) > Antivirus and antispyware > Real-time file system protection setup > Additional ThreatSense parameters for newly created and modified files. All three options should be check marked).
    If you set a viruscanner in WLM, the downloaded file is scanned twice and causes some unneeded delay.

8. GAN

GAN Registered Member

That's true, but it's also true that you won't be able to transfer som kind of files unless this is enabled. For example try to transfer a .exe file without specify a antivirus in WLM then the transfer will fail.
    Also if the settings you use for realtime scan isn't the same as you want for the file transfer you have the option to use the command line scanner.

9. Alf_

Alf_ Registered Member

Seems we're posting at the same time...
    I don't know about that WLM 'block' because I don't use MSN/WLM as my IM program anymore...

Correct, that's why I explicitly mentioned the default settings.

10. SteveBlanchard

SteveBlanchard Registered Member

Just a thought - Hotmail messages are scanned by Trend at the M$ end

11. Roar

Roar Registered Member

Thanks to all. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.