Message from Microsoft

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by Silver Surfer, Aug 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Folks,

Microsoft error reporting window popped up while I was surfing. Sent the report and got the following response almost immediately. What gives?

Error caused by Eset: No specific solution found

Problem Description

An analyst at Microsoft has investigated this problem and determined that an unknown error occurred in NOD32 Antivirus System. This software was created by Eset.

Problem Resolution

Microsoft has researched this problem with Eset, and they do not currently have a solution for the problem that you reported. Below is a list of recommendations to take that may help prevent the problem from recurring.

Contact Eset for support or product updates.
    Additional Information

If this problem continues to occur with the latest product updates for NOD32 Antivirus System, we recommend you obtain assistance and troubleshooting information directly from Eset.

2. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

What did Eset support say to you? Try contacting them as well as posting here. It would be interesting to know what they say.

3. GuruGuy

GuruGuy Registered Member

WHAT was the error or problem..........you don't state what it was

4. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

If you installed NOD32 on a server, be sure to keep IMON disabled (its icon must remain grey).

5. cupez80

cupez80 Registered Member

why should IMON disabled when installed on server ?

6. Access Denied

Access Denied Registered Member

No one should be browsing the inet on a server, hence no IMON is needed. ;)

7. webyourbusiness

webyourbusiness Registered Member

I've still wondered why an unused module needs to be actually disabled though... (apart from RAM/CPU considerations)...

8. NOD32 user

NOD32 user Registered Member

I assume when it's red it is internally in bypass mode whereas when it's grey it's not even part of the stack :)

9. arrowsmithmidwest

arrowsmithmidwest Registered Member

yes, i have found out that IMON enabled on a server will crash it about once a week, not sure of why, possibly a incompatibilty with SQL, not sureo_O

But yes, no imon on server, and no surfing on server either, download server files on a workstation then transfer them to server via network drive or CD etc.

10. myluvnttl

myluvnttl Registered Member

Oh reallyo_O No one should used a Window Server to surf the net?? I used Server 2003 Enterprised as a workstation, and IMON is enable.

11. alglove

alglove Registered Member

Yes, but you are using Windows Server 2003 as a workstation. Apparently, IMON interferes with some of the "server" functions that you are probably not using.

12. webyourbusiness

do you go and fetch your groceries with a tractor and trailer?

13. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

ROFLMAO, well I know some that would ;) :D :ninja:

:D :D :D

14. rumpstah

rumpstah Registered Member

Hi cupez80:

Maybe this will help. ;)

IMON in and of itself monitors port activity at the winsock level. A typical server (depending on the number of clients accessing) running an application which opens and closes a large number of "winsock" connections over a long period of time may result in a significant resource drain. In the case of IMON (coupled with Windows), it may not be able to keep up with this incredibly fast paced IO (Input/Output). IMON may not be able to open and close sockets fast enough (or not at all) and use all the available memory for (possibly pending) operations causing the affected server to reboot itself to regain resources as a protective measure.

15. webyourbusiness

me too.. doesn't make it the most logical or even a 'sane' option though...

16. Access Denied

OK, I just got the error on XP Pro. It gave me the system is shutting down in 60 seconds crap but I stopped it. Is there any info on this and how to stop it?

17. arrowsmithmidwest

That sounds like something different altogether, check your event logs, disable IMON, don't be connected to the internet, see if it still happens. Sounds a bit like a blaster kind of bug. Manual virus scan, and run all the anti spyware programs too.

If it is the RPC failing, you can stop it by going to start, run, typing 'shutdown -a' or goto start, run, type, 'services.msc' then on the RPC service change the recovery options to restart the service instead of the computer, except on last attempt, but i wouldn't advise this option as at least you would know when your computer is fixed if your RPC recovery options are not set right, and make sure you put them back to default if you do happen to change them.
    If your not all that computer literate i wouldn't advice messing with the services at all.

Perform all windows updates as well.

I don't think NOD32 would cause a 60 second countdown to reboot, unless someone knows something that i don't.

18. webyourbusiness

not a NOD32 thing.. if NOD requires a reboot, it asks, but doesn't invoke one... at least it never used to do that... and there hasn't been a program update in a while that could have added it.

I'd go with ArrowSmithMidWest's theory - sounds like some other kind of bug/infestation trying to complete it's installation ...

19. Access Denied

It killed the generic host for win32 service and that cause the 60 second shutdown notice. I have ran a full scan with NOD32 and KAV updated as of today and nothing turned up.

20. arrowsmithmidwest

could be corrupt windows, causing the lsass to fail?

try running sfc /scannow with windows disk in drive!

21. Access Denied

Only replaced my hacked uxtheme.dll as far as I noticed. No malware of any type on here. I am guessing it had something to do with RegDefend, its the only new software I have on here in weeks. I have it disabled for now and nothing has happened so far.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.