Merged partitions

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by sam.sensual, Jun 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sam.sensual

sam.sensual Registered Member

Hi, I have a very stupid mistake I made & I hope there is someone knowing a solution to this.
    Yesterday I merged two partitions, I: and H:, to one partition H:. When being asked where to store the actual files of the partitions I accidently created a folder inside the "System Volume Information" folder. After merging these two partitions, the partition was clean. As usual, I cannot get into the System Volume Information folder, and the partition is labelled as empty.

Of cooooourse I did not backup my files before merging, so I really need these files - can anybody help and tell me how to recover these files and folders? Is there a way, anyway?

Thanks in advance,

Sam

2. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

I think you'll have to add yourself to the allowed users list to get at the SVI folder by giving yourself extra privileges.

I'm not sure if this would work from the console using XP boot CD or in safemode as you are now. You could try in safemode - go to the system folder, right click and see if it will allow you to add your logon to the list of users. It might be you have to make yourself NTUSER - a super super user privilege.

However I'm not sure how you would do this in console mode - but I do know how to do this from the CMD line.

Best bet will be to see what others may think of this line of thought.

Colin

3. sam.sensual

I already found a way by changing the user rights for the System Volume Information folder and could enter. All the folders are there, but contentless - is it possible that DD couldn't write files to this folder and simply created sub-folders instead of the files? Is there a way to restore them?

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Sam,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Partition and Disk Managing Software.

Could you please clarify whether you have performed this operation using Acronis Disk Director within Windows or by booting from Acronis Bootable Rescue Media?

Please create Acronis Report and Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post and submit a request for technical support. Attach the collected report file and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Kirill Omelchenko

5. sam.sensual

Thanks for your advice and your offer for support. However it came to the data to disappear, I now got them back using a very helpful tool called "testdisk". Thanks for your help! I actually used the Windows version directly from Windows.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.