Merged: Latest update blocks Spanish biggest ISP (terra.es)

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by retiero, May 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. retiero

retiero Guest

*.terra.es- spyware?

terra.es (terra.com , terra-lycos)is a internet server , .es is for Spain, it's a web page of Telefónica . In this web page , there are oficials page of films, singers, gubernamentals organizations .......

2. Tonymix

Tonymix Guest

Latest update blocks Spanish biggest ISP (terra.es)

The latest update to the SpywareBlaster database is blocking Terra.es. Terra is the biggest ISP in Spain so adding protection results in blocking the whole portal (chats, webmail, boards, web searcher, etc, etc).

I'm guessing CoolWebSearch was found in one of the personal pages they host for free.

I think it should be better to contact them and tell about the problem. I guess they will quickly remove those pages.

By the way, I am part of the Spanish Spybot translation team and they have agreed to remove that site as inmunizing against the whole site is too much.

Please, let me know if you need help to contact them.

3. dak

dak Registered Member

Re: Latest update blocks Spanish biggest ISP (terra.es)

I run both SpywareBlaster and Spybot S&D, both current, and I just loaded the terra.es website without a problem. First you say it is SpywareBlaster doing the blocking and then you say it is Spybot...so, which is it?

--
    Slightly confused,
    dak

4. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Hey dak,

Are you using SpywareBlasters Restricted Sites protection or Spybot's Immunization feature ? What they may be speaking of is the fact that the site is being Restricted instead of blocked. As you may know....both of the above mentioned Software has terra.es as part of their Restricted Zone database....as does IE-Spyad.

5. Tonymix

Tonymix Guest

First it was Spybot which added *.terra.es to the IE restricted zone. Then, the latest update to the SpywareBlaster database did the same. So both programs are "blocking" it or whatever it is called.

Patrick Kolla told me it was on the Merijn CWS list but he agreed it was too much to block the whole site. Therefore he told me he was going to remove it.

Anyway, I can try to get it touch with the people at Terra and told me to check the specific pages and to remove them. I doubt they do it intentionally. As I said, I guess CWS is in a page hosted there, but not in page created by the people at Terra ISP.

6. JemW

JemW Registered Member

I'm confused by this - I can load these sites. Terra.es comes up as a Restricted Site in IE but the site loads and I can navigate so what exactly is the problem?

JemW

7. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Hey Tony,

So that SpywareBlaster and Spybot are not accused wrongly....It is important to note the difference between "blocking" a site and Restricting a site. Would you mind explaining your definition of blocking Please.

Also....let me assume for a moment your definition of blocking is that the site can not be loaded at all and the user is presented with the below message.

Code:
    [b]The page cannot be displayed[/b]
    Cannot find server or DNS Error

If that is what your meaning by blocking....I suggest you consider finding others to blame besides SpywareBlaster or Spybot. That page message to me is an indication that a user has a Hosts file in place and suggest You or Terra consider contacting some of the reputable Hosts file creaters as far as blocking is concerned....since a number of them have Terra.es has part of their Hosts file.

I'll await your answer of what your meaning by blocking before entertaining the thought of moving this thread to a more appropriate Forum other than the SpywareBlaster Forum.

8. dak

dak Registered Member

Both. Fully enabled.

I accessed terra.es just before posting this, again with no problem whatsoever. It does show in the resticted zone, but it sure isn't blocked or inaccessible.

--
    dak

9. Tonymix

Tonymix Guest

It's not the host file but the Internet Explorer restricted sites zone. If you add inmunization with Spybot or Enable All Protection with Spywareblaster an entry is added to that list.

Can you visit the site even if it's on that zone?. A user told me he couldn't read his e-mail through the webmail at Terra. Could it be javascript, cookies or activex controls being disabled on that zone?. They problem I had myself was the page not being loaded. Perhaps it was something else. By the way, it didn't show the DNS error page (as I said, it's not on the host file).

By "blocking" I meant that I couldn't connect to that site though the only change made was that of the restricted sites zone. I apologize if I'm not very clear in my explanations.

10. dak

dak Registered Member

I have ALL PROTECTION ENABLED in SpywareBlaster, and both PERMANENT IE IMMUNITY and PERMANENTLY RUNNING BAD DOWNLOAD BLOCKER FOR IE under the IMMUNIZE section fully enabled in Spybot S&D.

Yes, I still have NO problem visiting terra.es with the above stated settings. I visited the website just before posting this, again, as verification. I have cleared all caches, etc., so I am pulling the website from the Internet. The website does show to be in IE's RESTRICTED zone.

I'm sure it is possible that some specific/particular control needed for accessing or reading webmail on terra.es is disabled by the RESTRICTED zone settings.

I think I am becoming less confused about this issue now - It seems the problem(s) are occurring for terra.es subscribers and not for just visitors (like me). Correct?

--
    dak

11. Tonymix

Tonymix Guest

Yes, I think so. And then, which will be the way to solve the problem?. I guess the only way to solve the problem would be to remove the *.terra.es entry from the restricted sites zone.

12. dak

dak Registered Member

Just a quick recap:
    -SpywareBlaster and Spybot S&D places terra.es in the restricted zone.
    -The problems seem to only affect subscribers, and not visitors to the terra.es website. (This is, I think, what was causing the initial confusion.)
    -The restricted zone sets security to high, by disabling, among other things, ActiveX, Scripting and Java settings.

Webmail access/reading (one of the problems you mentioned) would almost certainly require one/some of the disabled items to function properly.
    You certainly wouldn't want to change/lower the restricted zone settings, as that would affect everything placed into that zone.
    So, it appears that the only solution, as you say, is to remove terra.es from the restricted zone. I guess you will need to recommend to your users that they remove it from the restricted zone manually, and provide them with simple instructions on how to do so.

¡Buena suerte! ;)

--
    dak

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.