Merge operation made drive unbootable

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by Anthony PDC, Aug 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anthony PDC

Anthony PDC Registered Member

After using Disk Director 10 to merge my drive C: (windows xp partition) with a large empty partition, all the data from my old C: drive, including the OS, has been placed in a folder on the new, single partition. Obviously I cannot now boot my machine. At the time, I thought it was odd that Director prompted me for a folder name for the data from the "old" partition.

Any ideas on how I can shift the data in the folder back to the root of the new C: drive? I realise it was probably my mistake, but I must say I got a bit confused by the user interface. I was just expecting Director to merge the two partitions transparently, but I guess not :mad:

2. Anthony PDC

Anthony PDC Registered Member

Actually, I have just had a thought: perhaps the easiest solution might be to boot from a windows 98 startup disk and copy a boot.ini file which has been edited to point to the Windows folder location in the new folder created by DD 10 during the merge operation?

Would that work?

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Anthony PDC,

Thank you for using Acronis Disk Management Software

Please note that to save your system working you should merge D: partition into C: partition.

We can not guarantee that it will work but in present situation the most probably useful workaround is:
    - Open the folder where now your system files are.
    - Cut them out of it and paste it in the root directory of your present active partition.
    - Then edit boot.ini file properly and put it in the root directory of the same active partition.

Thank you
    --
    Alexander Gladkov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.