Merge custom Windows 7 Firewall rules to Windows 8??

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by safeguy, Jan 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

Question is about Windows Firewall with Advanced Security [Win7 and Win8]. Hope someone can help me here...

Scenario:

1. I used Public Profile and have created a basic set of "Allow" and "Block" rules (that applies to all profiles) in addition to the default rules in Windows 7. In this instance, I didn't change the default "Allow" rules.

2. In Windows 8, I noticed that the default rules differ (at a glance) from those in Windows 7. I've yet to check exactly what though.

3. I can re-create the custom rules in Windows 8 but that would be tedious.

4. I tried importing my custom policy (the one I've created in Win7) to Windows 8 and it works. However, the default Windows 8 rules are missing it seems.

Question:

Basically, does anyone know how to 'merge' the custom "Allow" and "Block" rules I've made (under Win7) to Windows 8; without having to lose the default Win8 rules? I've searched the web but no luck...

2. Ring0

Ring0 Registered Member

- on Win7 you have to open "regedit" and find key;

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\FirewallRules]

- locate key that corresponds to your created rule as this example;

"{EE87502D-28C5-479D-A89C-C34EBC4BE74E}"="v2.10|Action=Allow|Active=TRUE|Dir=Out|Protocol=6|LPort2_10=49152-65535|RPort=80|RPort=443|App=D:\\Software\\Bin\\Firefox\\firefox.exe|Name=Firefox [TCP]|"

- export like *.reg file and merge to Win8, this would be the whole secret ;)

3. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

That was fast. Yeah, why didn't I think of that (I usually exclude this key under CCleaner lol)? Thanks a lot dude..:thumb: :thumb:

4. mrtonyg

mrtonyg Registered Member

Nice tip!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.