Merge custom Windows 7 Firewall rules to Windows 8??

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by safeguy, Jan 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

Question is about Windows Firewall with Advanced Security [Win7 and Win8]. Hope someone can help me here...

Scenario:

1. I used Public Profile and have created a basic set of "Allow" and "Block" rules (that applies to all profiles) in addition to the default rules in Windows 7. In this instance, I didn't change the default "Allow" rules.

2. In Windows 8, I noticed that the default rules differ (at a glance) from those in Windows 7. I've yet to check exactly what though.

3. I can re-create the custom rules in Windows 8 but that would be tedious.

4. I tried importing my custom policy (the one I've created in Win7) to Windows 8 and it works. However, the default Windows 8 rules are missing it seems.

Question:

Basically, does anyone know how to 'merge' the custom "Allow" and "Block" rules I've made (under Win7) to Windows 8; without having to lose the default Win8 rules? I've searched the web but no luck...

2. Ring0

Ring0 Registered Member

- on Win7 you have to open "regedit" and find key;

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\FirewallRules]

- locate key that corresponds to your created rule as this example;

"{EE87502D-28C5-479D-A89C-C34EBC4BE74E}"="v2.10|Action=Allow|Active=TRUE|Dir=Out|Protocol=6|LPort2_10=49152-65535|RPort=80|RPort=443|App=D:\\Software\\Bin\\Firefox\\firefox.exe|Name=Firefox [TCP]|"

- export like *.reg file and merge to Win8, this would be the whole secret ;)

3. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

That was fast. Yeah, why didn't I think of that (I usually exclude this key under CCleaner lol)? Thanks a lot dude..:thumb: :thumb:

4. mrtonyg

mrtonyg Registered Member

Nice tip!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.