Mentoring of Members

Discussion in 'ten-forward' started by HD rider UK, Mar 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HD rider UK

HD rider UK Registered Member

Evening all.

As many will have noticed, this forum is now without one of its prolific posters, and while this thread is NOT to discuss the rights or wrongs of the admin decision, their actions have made me think (a rare occasion i know).

Bringing up kids is one of the most difficult things to do, there are few guidelines available but many have their own opinions on what is the best method. When you are dealing with teenagers, the issues become even more complex. In particular, how do you manage their enthusiasm and develop their abilities without crushing their individuality?

I am sorry to see the loss of any member, especially one who seemed to me to have some abilities worth encouragement, as well as somee less desireable traits. While I am ignorant as to the procedures or systems Wilders and its admin/mods have to encourage productive as opposed to destructive behaviour from those perhaps too immature to exercise self-discipline, I would like to suggest that a system of mentors could be a valuable tool. This would be a 2 way process ( i hate the term "interactive"), not just control of the subject, but explanation, guidance, and instruction through example.

I hope that the way i have presented this proposal is acceptable to the community here, as it adresses a concern that i feel strongly about.

Jock

2. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

Excellent idea.....but whose to say 'We' know best, in this particular case, I don't think anyone could say "We didn't try"...........

Cochise, :cool:

3. HD rider UK

Thanks Cochise,
    as i said, i am not discussing that particular case, i just dont want to see it happen again if we can help it. The admin and mods make and enforce the protocols under which this forum operates, and they do so quite succesfully. Given that, the answer to your question as to who knows best is selfexplanatory in regard to the conduct of the forum members.
    If there are already such procedures available in here, then they should perhaps be reviewed as to whether they could be improved.

Jock

4. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

Yes there are some talented people on Wilders ;)

this is a noble idea but I don't think it would be practical at all. this is time consuming and not everybody would qualify :)

and this is as far as I go on this subject...

take care

5. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Good evening as well ;)

Sounds fair to me!

From experience, I for one do agree with you here.

Actually, we are sorry as well. Heading fast toward 30,000 registered members, merely 3/4 have been lost - to use your wording. That's a futile percentage.

Well, that's an easy one. We do allow quite a lot. On the other hand, we do set standards in the end. I'm not going into detail as for our procedures, but be assured we keep in close contact in private with those crossing the line, giving them advice and room to move keeping our standards and TOS in mind.

In effect, that is what we do practice - although we do not appoint mentors - no need for that since it's hardly needed. That said: in the end, we are not running a kindergarten over here. In case our "interactive" guidance and instruction through example fails because people simply refuse to participate: we do draw the line. At rare times this does happen; seems like you have encountered such an event right now.

All positive input is welcomed over on this board - and I for one do regard your post/proposal as a positive one ;) .

In the end in comes down to a request we do practice right from the start - without appointing mentors. As a matter of fact, our staff is doing one and the same - if needed.

Thus: please don't worry Jock. We do value our members and do take care of them as much as possible. At the same time, we do have a TOS for good reasons and we'll have to draw a line at a given moment. That's all there's to it :)

regards,

paul

6. HD rider UK

Evening all

Thanks to all that have posted here, especially to Paul for taking the time to consider the points I raised. The answers you have provided have given me and no doubt others too, some reasurance about this community, its values and workings, so thanks for that.

I suppose that it will always be a judgement call as to when a line has been crossed once too often and sanctions have to be taken, and it will never be easy to make that call. I just cannot help but feel disapointed that we could not , in the end, manage the outcome better, however the TOS are there for a reason.

Thread Closed.

Jock

7. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Hi Jock,

Thanks for the mature understanding - it's highly appreciated.

We all do the best we can - at times we do succeed, at times we don't. And that's a pittty for sure. Guess we'll have to live with that, over on this board as well as in private.

Personally, I do want to applaud you for being this concerned. The human factor is most probably the one that counts most - and you addressed that in a very eloquent way. Thanks for doing so.

'Thread closed' - indeed. Seems like we've covered the real issues at hand.

Glad having you aboard,

paul

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.