Memory tip?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Franklin, Jan 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

Memory optimisers are a waste of time and should never be used.

Now for a tip that I found in one of my other forums which most of the experts here probably already know about and may have already been posted elsewhere.

Open Taskmanager and leave it open.

Open my computer,minimize and watch explorer's mem usage drop.

Maximize and explorer will go to about half of it's original mem usage.

Open a large word document and do the same.Winword.exe will dramatically drop it's memory usage,same as for IE.

It even works with taskmanager.First opened it's using 3,780kb.Minimize then reopen and it's using only 1,432 kb.

Works on quite a few apps I've tried.

Funny thing is that if you use the keyboard shortcut to minimize - windows key+M - there is no drop in mem usage by any app.

2. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

That's pretty interesting!

I did as you said with my computer and did see the same thing. I was sort of hoping someone would offer an explanation though. I am not an authority on XP but My Computer causes my explorer thread count to go from 16 to 18 (view > select columns, and add thread count). Anyway, with that many threads who knows whats going on.

Interesting that all of the examples you gave are Microsoft processes. If the savings is real, maybe it could have to do with Microsoft specifying that a large number of files be prefetched. Could be the Microsoft is wanting to insure apps load quickly. From there, maybe the released prefetched memory is given to the application instead of the system...Sounds crazy...anyone have any other ideas?

-HandsOff

3. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

Sorta works the same way as the "config.trim_on_minimize" setting for Firefox.

There is a dramatic drop with PerfectDisk and Regseeker being non-MS apps.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Config.trim_on_minimize#Recommended_settings

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.