Memory question

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by slimP, Jul 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slimP

slimP Registered Member

I have a HP Pavilion xt963 and I was wanting to buy some more memory (256mb). I can go to crucial.com or pny.com or kingston.com and find out the kind they make that will work in my machine, but Im looking for something preferably in the 50 dollar range. Does anybody have any ideals of some good generic or other brand memory that will fit this specific machine?

Thanks in advance.

2. dangitall

dangitall Registered Member

I generally purchase PNY memory, but I've also had decent results from Kbyte and Apacer. As for pricing, if you can wait a bit, just wait for the type/amount you're looking for to go on sale at places like BestBuy and Staples. You may have to wait a few weeks for a mail-in rebate to be processed, but the savings can be considerable.

3. Devinco

Devinco Registered Member

Hi slimP,

I agree with Dangitall. Unless you are an overclocking maniac (no offense to the overclocking maniacs out there ;) ), you should go for value, specification, and brand. Look in your motherboard manual and find out what spec of RAM you need, the maximum individual size DIMM, the maximum RAM the mobo can take, and how many available DIMM slots. I would say fill it up to the gills with RAM (at least up to 1GB), it is one of the best upgrades. Over 1 GB, the benefits gradually reduce, however, I have 1.5 GB and no swap file (sweet :D). If you do video editing, 2GB would be a good goal.
    Keep an open mind when looking for RAM.
    When I was shopping for RAM, I needed PC2100. The PC2100 RAM was actually more expensive than a higher spec (but completely compatible) PC3200. I will be able to take the RAM into a new computer if I upgrade. It was the Value Corsair RAM at Newegg.com. If you are into dual channel memory though, you may need "matched pairs" of RAM which can be more expensive.

Good luck!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.