Memory Objects

Discussion in 'Trojan Defence Suite' started by Feivel, Jun 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Feivel

Feivel Registered Member

I installed TDS-3 as a trail and ran a full scan after enabling everything. The scan ran fine besides the fact that the memory objects scan took forever. I also installed the latest version of Worm Guard and now whenever I run a scan in TDS-3 it stops responding during the memory object scan. The scan completes fine if I disable Worm Guard. Can someone here please explain how I can avoid the TDS-3/Worm Guard conflict?

Before anybody asks...I am on XP Pro with SP1, NOD 32, ZAP 4.5

2. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi Feive, Not heard of such a conflict before :(

Hopefully DCS will advise in a few hours ie. morning Perth time.

Pilli

3. Feivel

Feivel Registered Member

I hope they have an easy answer like "you overlooked something" because Worm Guard and TDS-3 seem like some great defensive layers (I'm growing weary of TH and it's maybe weekly updates).

4. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Hi Feivel, even on a very old win98 system with very little memory i did not see this happening. But are you trying to scan actively something with WormGuard, or did you try to open a testfile which should be blocked by WormGuard and now it did not block it?
    WormGuard can scan a file but you would only get an alert if something is wrong with it.
    The Object Memory Scan even on my system takes less then a minute.
    The Process Memory Scan does take a while as it is a very heavy process.
    I'm used to start TDS manually after the reboot and have all options checked to scan etc and wait (im)patiently till all that is ready. (good time to walk for a coffee)
    If possible, i never would let TDS do it's scans with other av/at programs (including their resident protection) up, so TDS has full access everywhere and to speed up the process as much as possible. Generally spoken it's best to close other av/at scanners while using the other. TDS itself does not need to be closed wehn you scan with another scanner, as long as you don't do an active scan with TDS at the same time. It's resident protection part (exec protection , available in the registered version only) is a hook only, not taking any resources and not actively scanning, only testing other files you intend to execute so that's no problem during other scans.
    Firewall is not the problem though, it is those av/at scanners.
    You might like to try how it goes if you temporary close the other scanner.

If you do the Full System Scan would certainly close everything not necessary (to speed up the process) and step away from the system to look after a while for the alerts.

Please post us back if you tried and if this did help!

5. Feivel

Feivel Registered Member

Jooske,

It was hanging (not responding) during the Memory Object scan. I took your advice and disabled ALL of my running security programs (except ZAP). That didn't fix the TDS scan so instead of renabling everything I turned off, I decided to reboot. Imagine my surprise when I saw the windows error message saying explore.exe was not responding and couldn't shut down. Everything was fine after the reboot so I did a full scan with TDS-3 and everything is ok. Wonder what caused explore.exe to lock although the computer didn't act strange.

6. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Oops! I should have asked if you did reboot after installing TDS (and WormGuard) like on the older win9x series has always been the habit.
    But now i do have one more question: did you go back to the TDS download site and grabbed the latest radius (definitions) after the install or after the reboot, before you fired up TDS again?

7. Feivel

Feivel Registered Member

Sure did...it does concern me that the hanging explore.exe was apparently related to Worm Guard somehow.

8. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Thyat's not normal no, was that one time or does it happen each time when using the Memory Objects scan?

9. Feivel

Feivel Registered Member

Everything appears to be fine now. I know I did a reboot after I installed TDS-3 but maybe I forgot after installing Worm Guard. In either case, something happened between WG and Explore.exe that only showed when TDS-3 did it's memory object scan. Could this be part of the reason why WG "breaks" help and support and windows media player?

10. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Windows XP has an issue (didn't they still fix that?) when you install anything after XP the help can disappear, and the workaround for that is to create a shortcut to it on your desktop. It might be the same with other (ad randum?) programs.
    When installing other software, it is recommended for that short time to disable wormGuard protection till after the install. On many systems this is not necessary at all as trying it out will proof it to you.
    Hmm maybe this is the reason why on my system ZAPro 5.x runs fine while half the world had to go back to 4.5 :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.