Memory Leak in TI 10 Shell Extension ???

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by ScaryBob, Jan 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ScaryBob

ScaryBob Registered Member

Try this with Windows XP Task Manager running in the Performance tab with memory usage displayed:
    1. Perform a search on a folder tree that contains 200 or more files.
    2. Select all files.
    3. Bring up the context menu by pressing the right mouse button.

On my system, bringing up the context menu on 200 files results in a loss of about 15 MB of memory (consumed and never returned), 1000 files about 500 MB. With 2000 or more files memory use just goes off the charts and Windows Explorer crashes. Windows must be restarted to get the memory back in all cases.

Disabling the Acronis True Image Shell Context Menu Extension in the registry solves the problem. o_O

2. GianniC

GianniC Registered Member

I have the same problem with TI10 memory leaks.

Bug description
    When I explore an image double clicking a on tib file, the memory used by Explorer grows up more and more; when the system become unusable, I have to disconnect my user and login again: closing explorer windows does not help.

Bug details
    I have investigated using SysInternals ProcessExplorer.
    Hundreds of handles are opened and never closed.
    All open handles reference the registry key "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Acronis\Fomatik\Plugins"; all handles have the reference counter at 1.

Probable cause
    Probably a Fomatik dll opens the registry key "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Acronis\Fomatik\Plugins" using RegOpenKey or RegOpenKeyEx and never calls RegCloseKey to release the handle.
    This behavior results in a memory leak.

3. shieber

shieber Registered Member

Interesting. Have you reported this directly to Acronis as a support request?

4. GianniC

GianniC Registered Member

Not yet. I suppose they read this forum.

It is just an annoying bug in a new feature.
    BTW, it is easy to have bugs in shell extensions: they are not so well documented in MSDN...

I am not in a hurry to have a bug fix.
    All features I use every day are working great for me.:thumb:

I just hope my feedback could help Acronis to fix this in next release.

5. tachyon42

tachyon42 Registered Member

Acronis Support seem to only read (or at least respond) to some of the threads in this forum.
    The only reliable way to bring a bug to their attention is to directly contact Acronis Support.
    It would really help if ALL those experiencing a problem reported it.
    Hopefully if many users report a problem then it might get fixed.

6. ScaryBob

ScaryBob Registered Member

I reported it to Acronis. An email was sent back saying, "Your request has been forwarded to the Acronis Expert Team." I also posted here to see if the problem could be verified by other TI 10 owners.

It would be good if other people reported their findings. It often takes more than one voice to get a problem like this taken seriously.

7. tachyon42

tachyon42 Registered Member

Whenever I report a bug I also give Acronis Support a link back to the thread where I've raised the issue.
    Don't know if they ever read the thread but if they do then they can see other user's comments and they might get further insight into the bug which might help them to resolve it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.