memory leak Ekrn.exe

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by The PIT, Dec 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The PIT

The PIT Registered Member

Got a windows 7 machine which is supposed to run 24hrs a day 7 days a week.
    Anyway I noticed the free memory gradually disappearing and ekrn.exe had shop up from 45mb too 257mb and still increasing.
    Now whether this is due to a interaction between weatherlink 5.83. Weather display virtual vp and active webcam I don't know.
    I've now removed nod32 and using microsoft security essentials and watching what is happening.
    If the problem remains the machine will start crashing programs in about two days time.
    The pc ran memcheck all night without any errors.

2. SmackyTheFrog

SmackyTheFrog Registered Member

I have seen weird interactions between the real-time file system or http scanning module and programs that keep persistent streaming connections open that can do what you are describing. Check out the resource monitor, specifically the disk section, and see if there is a file that ekrn.exe is thrashing on. If there is, exclude it from real-time scanning. If you don't see it thrashing the file system, look under the network section and find weatherlink process and see where it is establishing network connections to. Then try excluding those addresses from the HTTP scanning module.

3. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

If disabling HTTP checking helps, it's the well known bug in WFP that is discussed in the MSDN forum and we all are anticipating a hotfix from MS.

4. The PIT

At the moment I'll watch and see what happens with nod32.
    I could well be moving over to server 2008 64 bit in the near future.

5. The PIT

Got a link just out of interest??

Seconds later I find the posts. Taking a long time to fix it.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2009
  6. prius04

prius04 Registered Member

Just in the FWIW department, I have also been seeing mem usage continually rise since I installed .474.

I do, indeed, appreciate all the comments regarding this issue BUT it should be noted that the issue started immediately AFTER I installed .474; the previous build, .467, was rock solid (in terms of memory usage and otherwise) and I have changed no settings nor installed additional software in the interim period.

7. bradtech

bradtech Registered Member

2008 Server runs great... I have NOD32 2.7 and 3.0.695.0 running on 2k8 with no problem.. I am running 4.0.467.0 and 4.0.474.0 on desktops

8. bradtech

bradtech Registered Member

Can you try excluding those applications from being scanned by EKRN to see if the problem persists?

9. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

10. chrcol

chrcol Registered Member

read that site and it seems the hotfix is done but microsoft are not willing to distribute it via windows update its a request only hotfix. So in a worst case scenario we would be waiting indefenitly as many hotfixes remain request only.

11. Searinox

Searinox Registered Member

I would like to add my own experience to this. I am using windows 7 ultimate 64bit and I have noticed ekrn.exe in NOD32 4.0.468 start out with a nominal 50MB RAM use then steadily climb each day. After 2 weeks of non stop running in the same windows session, ekrn had reached 132MB of memory use. While this isn't a direct concern to me since I have 7GB of memory, it did strike me. Because nod32 was using up the most of my memory. It climbs steadily around 5MB for each running day, and if anyone has any ideas it would be much appreciated.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.