Memory caching and ReadyBoost in Vista

Discussion in 'General Returnil discussions' started by Trespasser, May 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trespasser

Trespasser Registered Member

Hi,
    I installed Returnil using the Memory Caching method and I have a couple of questions.

(1) How much Ram is needed/suggested to utilize this method? I have 2 gigs on a 3.0 ghz Pentium 4 with HT.

and...

(2) Is ReadyBoost utilized in this Memory Caching method? At present I have a 2 gig (ReadyBoost capable) thumb drive attached since I was concerned that I might be a little bit short on installed Ram. Do I need it or not? Returnil seems to run fine without it.

Thanks for any info on this matter. :).

Later....

2. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

Hi Trespasser,

The minimum is essentially the minimum needed by the OS to function properly. Where this level falls is usually subjective for each user, but the minimum specifications provided by Microsoft are valid for RVS...

For normal use this shouldn't make that great a difference. At the exteme performance end it may help as far as the overall system is concerned. RVS is extremely light and can function even at these "choke" points...

Rule of thumb: If Windows can, so can RVS.

Mike

3. Trespasser

Doesn't Returnil store any changes made to the operating system while in Memory Caching mode in Ram? Or am I misinterpreting it's operating principle? If I am understanding it correctly then it would seem to me that over time Ram would eventually become packed with bits of Returnil info leaving less and less "room" for the operating system...thus my question about ReadyBoost.

Excuse me if I'm out in left-field in my understanding of how Returnil works.

Thanks, Mike.

Later...

4. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

Yes and no ;) memory is a combination of RAM and disk. Actual physical RAM used is extremely light and RVS would not experience any issues workng as it should; even at your computer's performance limits.

The only thing you really need to keep an eye on is available space on the disk. If your disk is already full, not even Windows will be able to function properly...

HTH
    Mike

5. Trespasser

Returnil runs better on my computer than Shadow Defender does. Runs beautifully. Runs great with SRP, too. I'm highly impressed by your product. :thumb: from me.

Glad y'all are here at Wilders.

Thanks for your replies, Mike.

Later...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.