MediaMonkey Gold for free or....?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by tepe2, Oct 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tepe2

tepe2 Registered Member

I thaught I should try MediaMonkey. I clicked to download the free version and got this:

http://www.mediamonkey.com/trialpay

It says "continue to download free version OR get MediaMonkey Gold full version. Now FREE"

It also says "Get free updates for life".

Is this for real? Whats the downside? Has anyone here tried this one?

2. lodore

lodore Registered Member

to get the gold version for free you need to start a trial out of the offers from trialpay such as 30day movie rental etc.

3. n8chavez

n8chavez Registered Member

I tried using TrialPay with Foxit Pro and I never did get the software. So, I'm not sure how well this works. I completed the offer as I was supposed to but still neve got Foxit. For me, TrialPay was a no go.

4. tepe2

tepe2 Registered Member

OK. Thank you guys for quick replies.

I guess I go for the free version.

5. n8chavez

Just shell out the $20. I for one don't like MM, I prefer J. River's Media Center .

6. ruinebabine

ruinebabine Registered Member

...and give a look to Mp3Toys (version 3 should be out next month).

7. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

I've used MediaMonkey for years I find it a great all-in-one converting and organising suite), though I don't think its the best for playback (I am a Winamp fan... ).

8. optigrab

optigrab Registered Member

Isn't MediaMonkey based upon Winamp's code?

I've used Winamp for any years, but when I got MM, I dropped Winamp. MM is my preferred music library manager.

9. n8chavez

You are correct, at least in part. MMs playback code, including the DSP, is based on (if not taken directly from) Winamp. There should be no difference between the two, other than DSP presets. But I prefer neither, and use Media Center.

10. tepe2

tepe2 Registered Member

Thank you for replies.

So far I have mainly used WMP. I am trying to organize my music and delete the files I dont want any longer. And give ratings. Then some time in future I will create playlist etc...

I dont spend a lot of time on music, just now and then. So far I have mainly used WMP. Because music is not my main priority I only want a free version and I try to find out if MediaMonkey is the right for me. I tried it before but only for a couple of days.

As far as I understand I cannot update the library automatic in the free version. Have to do it manually. Does this mean it will scan the whole "MyMusic"-folder all over again? It took more than an hour the first time I installed.

I guess MediaMonkey will be (a lot) better than WMP? That is if I take the time to get used to it :) I often start something and never get time enough to finish :D

11. lodore

lodore Registered Member

for the music thing just tick the folders with music in them. much faster. thats what i do. no point in searching if you know where the music is and just want the player to play it.
    plus it will only check for changes after first check. so it will be faster once you get it up at running.

12. tepe2

tepe2 Registered Member

Thanks Lodore :thumb:

13. ASM

ASM Registered Member

Yes, MediaMonkey is Great... I'd never wanted to touch on it till this year Jan, I gave it a tried and I am in Love with it. I bought the Gold Version for supporting the development and using for Audio Management, as I am using AMIP and WinAmp Pro for listening to mp3.

14. tepe2

tepe2 Registered Member

I have one more question.

I can easily setup WMP like this: When I remove a title from the library the file will also be deleted from my hdd at the same time.

The question is: Can I do this with MM? (I have looked but cant find it)

EDIT: Never mind. I found out. When you delete something from the library you are given the option to delete it also from the hdd.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.