Media Player Classic crashes Explorer/IE

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Pigman, Jul 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pigman

Pigman Registered Member

Okay, here's an interesting problem... I recently downloaded Media Player Classic, along with Quicktime Alternative and RealPlayer Alternative. The streaming media works fine - I have no trouble, for example, watching a movie preview on line. The problem is when I run MPC, or try to open a media file with it. When I do that, a message comes up saying that there was an IE error, followed by another that says, "Explorer - This program has performed an illegal action and will be terminated." Following that, Explorer does in fact terminate, though no other program does - I can't do anything at all, since the Windows interface has crashed, and have to restart or shut down.

I really like Media Player Classic, and Quicktime/RealPlayer alternatives rock. Is there any way to keep MPC but leave the crashes behind? Should I replace the current version of MPC with an older, less buggy one?

2. Close_Hauled

Close_Hauled Registered Member

Where did you get Media Player Classic, Quicktime Alternative and RealPlayer Alternative?

Close Hauled

3. Pigman

Pigman Registered Member

Here. That's the link for Real Alternative; QT Alternative is available from the same site. Both include Media Player Classic as part of the installation.

BTW, I just uninstalled QuickTime, and RegSeeker says that all the extensions I set QuickTime to read are no longer used. I doubt this is the case, since I now have MPC set to read them (which it does, despite crashing IE/Explorer after a few seconds). In case you're wondering, I selected "Uninstall" as opposed to "Uninstall Everything". Could this be the cause of the problem?

Also, as I said before, no crashes occur when I use MPC to play streaming media via Real/QuickTime Alternative.

4. optigrab

optigrab Registered Member

Maybe you should try uninstalling everything and reinstalling one at a time. I hope you get it resolved. I like Real Alternative, and have not experienced your problem.

5. Pigman

Pigman Registered Member

Umm... uninstall everything? I suppose you mean MPC and RP/QT Alternative?

Thanks, I'll try that.

6. Pigman

Pigman Registered Member

It's no-go. The thing just crashes my machine, and I can't seem to fix the problem. I just reinstalled Quicktime.

7. Arin

Arin Registered Member

dear Pigman, i'm using MPC with Windows ME and K-Lite codec pack. its stable and works fine here. in fact i ran into trouble when i tried the QT alternative.

8. Pigman

Pigman Registered Member

Well, I tried reinstalling only the Real alternative last night, but it still crashed - this time with streaming movies too. It seems that the current version is just not stable on my system.

Therefore, I've switched to BSPlayer, which looks very promising - especially since it takes up very little RAM compared to QuickTime or WinMedia. But it comes with its own problems... (I'll put up another post on that.)

9. Pigman

Pigman Registered Member

Eh, BSPlayer sucks. I've only been able to get it to handle Quicktime files, and nothing else. So, I'm going back to MPC.

Now, though, I can give you a more accurate description of the problem:

1. If I run MPC and then exit it after any amount of time, then try to run another program, Explorer will immediately perform an illegal operation and terminate. All other processes will continue.

2. If I run MPC and then close it while Firefox or IE is running, Firefox or IE will crash after a couple of seconds, followed by Windows Explorerer.

3. If I try to "launch Media Player Classic in browser", Firefox will "perform an illegal operation" upon starting and immediately terminate. Nothing else will crash (at that point).

I'm starting to think the problem might have something to do with a DLL being used by MPC.

(From what I have heard, unloading DLLs immediately after an application terminates is a bad idea, as it will cause some things to crash. As far as I know, though, I don't have my computer set to do that.)

10. Pigman

Pigman Registered Member

*bump*

Btw, AMRX, I'm using Win 98 (not SE).

11. Pigman

Pigman Registered Member

Still getting the same problems. Does anyone here have any clue what is going on?

Could this have something to do with my using Win98?

Edit: Wait a minute... Some time ago, I uninstalled Windows Media Player from my computer. Are there components of WinMedia that Media Player Classic requires? It is, after all, based on WinMedia 6.4, and seems awfully small... (Only one single file, Media Player Classic.exe...)

Last edited: Jul 11, 2004
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.