Media Motor slipped by Nod and others?

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by ejr, Mar 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ejr

ejr Registered Member

I have Nod32, ZA Free, Spybot, Adaware, Spyware Blaster, and a locked MVPS Hosts file. That has been my suite since December of last year.

To that, I recently added Spysweeper. It found media motor on my machine right away.

I'm not knockin NOD or any of the other programs. I love them all. Just informing.

2. Happy Bytes

Happy Bytes Guest

Which Files?

3. Elwood

Elwood Registered Member

Are you sure it wasn't a false positive?

What were the names of the files detected and where were they located?

4. ejr

ejr Registered Member

I wish I could tell you. I isntalled Spysweeper 2 days ago. When it found the file, I sent it to quarantine, then had it removed. So I don't have record of it.

Next time I will make note to report this to ESET or at least to this forum right away.

5. Happy Bytes

Happy Bytes Guest

Because this could be a non-malicious file, only a file which "belongs" to the package - most of the AV vendors refusing (for reasons) to include non-malicious files into detection - in contrast i saw a lot of Anti-Spyware Products which even detecting completely innocent icon files or textfiles.

6. ejr

ejr Registered Member

I didn't save that info, I wish I did. However, prior to choosing Spysweeper, I also downloaded Spyware Doctor. It also detected media motor. So with 2 reputable (non rogue) programs detecting it, I feel fairly confident that it was not a false positive.

Again, next time I will report immediately so that I can submit the files names and locations.

7. Happy Bytes

Happy Bytes Guest

Ah... maybe it found some registry keys :rolleyes:

8. Elwood

Elwood Registered Member

Yes, and some anti-spyware apps have been know to detect and remove things from IE's restricted sites zone, usually placed there by IE-SpyAd...

9. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

That is a possibility but unfortunately there is no info to go by :blink:

That will make the Byte boy Happy :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.