Media Motor slipped by Nod and others?

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by ejr, Mar 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ejr

ejr Registered Member

I have Nod32, ZA Free, Spybot, Adaware, Spyware Blaster, and a locked MVPS Hosts file. That has been my suite since December of last year.

To that, I recently added Spysweeper. It found media motor on my machine right away.

I'm not knockin NOD or any of the other programs. I love them all. Just informing.

2. Happy Bytes

Happy Bytes Guest

Which Files?

3. Elwood

Elwood Registered Member

Are you sure it wasn't a false positive?

What were the names of the files detected and where were they located?

4. ejr

ejr Registered Member

I wish I could tell you. I isntalled Spysweeper 2 days ago. When it found the file, I sent it to quarantine, then had it removed. So I don't have record of it.

Next time I will make note to report this to ESET or at least to this forum right away.

5. Happy Bytes

Happy Bytes Guest

Because this could be a non-malicious file, only a file which "belongs" to the package - most of the AV vendors refusing (for reasons) to include non-malicious files into detection - in contrast i saw a lot of Anti-Spyware Products which even detecting completely innocent icon files or textfiles.

6. ejr

ejr Registered Member

I didn't save that info, I wish I did. However, prior to choosing Spysweeper, I also downloaded Spyware Doctor. It also detected media motor. So with 2 reputable (non rogue) programs detecting it, I feel fairly confident that it was not a false positive.

Again, next time I will report immediately so that I can submit the files names and locations.

7. Happy Bytes

Happy Bytes Guest

Ah... maybe it found some registry keys :rolleyes:

8. Elwood

Elwood Registered Member

Yes, and some anti-spyware apps have been know to detect and remove things from IE's restricted sites zone, usually placed there by IE-SpyAd...

9. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

That is a possibility but unfortunately there is no info to go by :blink:

That will make the Byte boy Happy :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.