Mechanical Keyboard - What MX switch do you prefer?

Discussion in 'hardware' started by Tyrizian, Jan 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tyrizian

Tyrizian Registered Member

If you own a mechanical keyboard or have used one, What MX switch do you prefer to use?

1. MX Blue
    2. MX Red
    3. MX Brown
    4. MX Black

This could have been a poll, but I felt that listing this post under "Hardware" was more appropriate.

I would like to hear your feedback, because I am considering on buying a mechanical keyboard (Non Membrane)

2. CrusherW9

CrusherW9 Registered Member

I somewhat recently bought a few different keyboards just to try out the switches. These are my thoughts:

- Corsair K70 with MX-Red's
    - At first I didn't like this one. The red's are very light and there's no bump midpress.
    - I ended up really liking the reds for gaming and even typing.
    - The keyboard itself is nice. Solid, backlighting is nice. The volume wheel is nice.
    - Not all of the keys are mechanical. IIRC just the main alphanumeric keys are mechanical​

- Razer BlackWidow Ultimate
    - This keyboard has MX-Blue's. I found them really nice for typing but for gaming, they got kind of annoying. It's hard to describe but they feel slow and you have to fully release the key to re-press it.
    - I liked the keyboard. The green backlighting is NICE (I love me some green).
    - It has macro keys and if you need them, they work well.
    - The keyboard has a sort of rubberized coating. Not sure on the long term durability of it. It could rub off and turn shiny.​

- Logitech G710 Plus
    - This keyboard has MX-Brown's. These are my favorite switches. They are light like the reds but have a slight tactile bump mid depress. They are basically a hybrid between the reds and blues.
    - This keyboard also has o-rings on the key caps. These decrease the key throw and the noise from bottoming the keys out. Some people don't like the feel when bottoming out but I didn't mind them.
    - The white backlighting on this board is nice and crisp.
    - It also has macro keys and they are easy to program as well
    - I like the media keys on this keyboard the best. The K70 has them in a somewhat awkward spot and the BlackWidow uses a modifier key​

- Azio Levetron Mech4
    - This is actually my roommates keyboard. It has MX-Black's. The blacks are the red's with a stiffer spring. I didn't like the extra force needed to depress the keys.
    - Keyboard is solid. It is even water resistant so if you spill your pop on it, it won't entirely screw it up, though some of his keys are a bit "sticky".
    - It's modular. You can take the numpad and macro keys off. I personally don't like the design.
    - The volume knob is nice though.​

- WASD v2
    - This is the keyboard I ended up buying to keep.
    - It is VERY customizable. You get to choose the key switches, the color of every key, as well as the text and layout.
    - It's pretty solid. It's heavy and has large rubber pads underneath so it doesn't move around on my desk.
    - I was a bit disappointed with the texture of the plastic case but the keys are nice.

So to summarize, I thought all of these keyboards where nicely made. I prefer the MX-Red switches for purely gaming and MX-Blue's for purely typing. I ended up deciding on the MX-Browns as a combination between the blue's and red's and I really like them. Hope this helps and good luck on picking a keyboard! There are a TON of options.

3. Noob

Noob Registered Member

I've always wanted a mechanical keyboard but they are so expensive.

4. roady

roady Registered Member

As I only own the Corsair Vengeance K90,I really can't say anything about the difference between MX Red,Blue or Brown.....So far,I only worked with MX Red.
    But what I do can say,is that a mechanical keyboard is way better than an membrane keyboard.
    Previously I used the Logitech G15 v1,but my K90 beats the cr*p out of it!:D :thumb:

5. Tyrizian

I am really considering on buying the Roccat Ryos MK PRO, with MX Blue switches.

I've heard a ton of positive feedback about that keyboard, it isn't even funny.

Many people say it tops them all, which makes it that much more tempting for me to buy.

I don't know, what do you all think?

6. roady

roady Registered Member

It shure looks great,and has a plethora of options and settings!:thumb:
    I dunno if you will use all of them,though.....:D

7. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

Depends on preferences. One isnt better than the other. :rolleyes:

8. roady

roady Registered Member

Agreed...:)

Mechanical is more rugged than membrame,also try to push some action keys with the G15 V1 when moving diagonally....;)

9. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

Here's a good read: http://www.pcworld.com/article/242037/mechanical_keyboard_faq_pick_the_right_switch.html

The problem I have recommending keyboards and mice is these devices are extensions of our own hands. That means what "feels" good to me may feel very awkward to you.

Because keyboards and mice are such "personal HIDs" (human interface devices), I don't feel any recommendation any of us can provide is really valid for anyone else.

Therefore, I strongly recommend you visit your local electronics/computer store and play "touchy-feely" with demos for yourself.

10. CrusherW9

Are you set on what switch you want? Otherwise I would recommend doing some "Amazon showrooming" and go to BestBuy/Walmart/Tigerdirect/etc and buying a few keyboards to test out and then return. As for the Roccat, I really have no idea. When I was looking into keyboards, I was initially looking at the ones with all the features. Things like the Roccat, Blackwidow Ultimate, things with macro buttons and usb ports, etc. I realised that I wouldn't use any of the extra features even if I had them so I went with a simple, clean looking keyboard. The only extra feature I use on my keyboard is the ability to toggle the windows keys on and off with the scroll lock key. BUT, I forgot I even had that feature until yesterday, so I don't use anything but just the regular keys on mine. I think that's something to consider when looking at keyboards. Will you really use all of the features on some of those gaming keyboards?

11. Bill_Bright

I disagree. Mechanical keyboards use levers, tension arms, return springs, and other parts under every single key.

Membrane keyboards have MUCH fewer parts and they use parts that are less likely to pop out or work loose if the keyboard is dropped or banged about.

Mechanical key parts are exposed to dirt, soda and coffee with cream and sugar, cookie and chip crumbs, smoke and other debris.

Membrane keyboards have protective layers to help keep dirt, moisture and other debris from getting inside. Some are marketed as waterproof.

Military grade "ruggedized" keyboards are not "mechanical" for those reasons.

The "allure" of mechanical keyboards is primarily the "feel" (and sometimes "sound") of the key-click. The desire to press (and have register) more than 6 keys at once is also important, but really only for a limited number of users.

12. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

^ But mechanical keyboards are rated for more key presses than membrane keyboards right?

13. CrusherW9

Yes. Also, membrane keyboards kind of wear out over time and the feel of each key changes. Mechanical keys aren't prone to this.

14. Bill_Bright

I think it is important to remember that not all membrane keyboards are made alike, just as not all mechanical keyboards are alike. There are different types and qualities of membranes, same with mechanicals. So I am not sure it is fair to judge the whole category of membranes with the whole category of mechanicals.

While a good mechanical may be rated 50M keypresses they tend to be pretty expensive (not to mention heavy and noisy). You can get a cheap membrane rated at 1 - 5M keypresses for up to 10 times less than the mechanical.

But you also get a quality membrane rated for 15M keypresses that is still considerably less then the mechanical.

But will that mechanical still be able to serve your computing needs in 10 years? Longer than your computer (or maybe 2 generations of computers)? Will it still have all the keys you need - or will there be more new "standard" keys on keyboards by then.

So I think costs need to come into play here. I don't know who really makes Microsoft keyboards but I've been using this Comfort 5000 for over 5 years and I cannot feel any difference in the "feel" of the "EEEEEEEeeeeeeee" key (the most common letter used in English) or the rarely used "~~~~~~~~```````" key and I spend hours on this computer almost every day.

15. Tyrizian

Well, I ended up ordering the Roccat Ryos MK Pro and my goodness this thing is built like a tank, best keyboard I have ever owned.

I decided on MX Blue switches and love the clacky sound it gives.

This thing is a dream to type on.

16. CrusherW9

Glad you like it!

17. roady

roady Registered Member

Maybe true,but my membrane G15 V1 has a few keys,mostly numpad,that don't work properly anymore.....no liquids spilled on it,never dropped it.
    Out of a sudden,after about 2.5 years of use,some of the keys refuse to work 90% of time.And no,it's not a driver issue or wrong configuration,as it's tested on a few different systems.....for the premium price I paid back then,I'd expect a better durability...

@ TyRidian,congrats with your new toy,glad you like it! :)

18. Tyrizian

I'm glad I like it too, Thanks :D

19. Tyrizian

20. Aryeh Goretsky

Aryeh Goretsky Security Expert

21. Bill_Bright

Ummm, no. Sorry but that is not true. Newegg carries an extensive line of Rosewill products and Newegg has a limited partnership to carry some "Newegg branded" Rosewill made products - but that is a common practice (marketing gimmick by the retailers) to ensure unique model numbers for essentially identical products (to avoid "price matching" costs).

I note Amazon, Best Buy, Walmart, Mwave and others sell Rosewill too.

Not likely these retailers would sell their competitors products.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.