Meaning of system tray icons?

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by tronje, Jun 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tronje

tronje Registered Member

Hello,

after discovering (by chance!) that the automatic updates for NOD32 v.2.7 had quietly ceased, I had reluctantly to update my two XP machines to v.5.2.9.1. So far so good (even though I already had a first run-in with egui.exe taking over the CPU at 100% after connection of an external USB drive, and not being stoppable short of a reboot... :argh: ).

But for now, just a simpler question:

In general, where can I find an explanation of the various (animated) system tray icons? (No luck in the Help, so far.)

In particular: both machines are "idling", but
    -- in one I see the same icon in the System Tray as in the Start menu (a greenish "button" with whitish "halo"),
    -- the other box shows a green button with a white letter "i" (or inverted exclamation mark?).

Right-click menus and tooltips are identical (the latter just giving version of application and database, so no ongoing startup check or anything like that).

Is this difference significant in any way?

Thanks for any tips.

UPDATE: Just when I had finished typing this post, the icon on the first machine changed to the "white letter 'i' on green background", too.

So, was there something still going on, which was just not mentioned in the tooltip?

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

V2 users have been receiving a constant notification of discontinuation of v2 in the last few months. Do you mean you haven't received any in spite of updating v2 from ESET's servers?

As for the meanings of the icon, the best would be to open the main status window which will show the reason for the changed status.

3. dwomack

dwomack Eset Staff Account

4. rcdailey

rcdailey Registered Member

That's helpful I assumed that when the icon has a little "i" in it, that means that there is some informational message from the Eset program. Is it only for Windows Update or for other information? I have not seen that little 'i" myself, but I frequently check for Windows updates.

Looking at configuration, I realized that currently I have notifications set to informative, rather than what I used to have set (critical). So, if something happens that is at least "informative" I guess I will see the "i" in the icon.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2012
  5. tronje

tronje Registered Member

Thanks for your reply.
    (And apologies for my late repsonse, I thought I had subscribed to this thread and would be notified, but apparently it didn't work out; probably my bad).

No, I had automatic database updates on, but never received a message about the End of Life for v.2. At one point I saw by chance that the latest update was a few days old already, and then found out about this from the ESET website.

Would the "main status window" be the "Home" or the "Computer scan" window?

Right now I see the "i" icon on one and the "button with halo" icon on the other machine, but the content of those two pages is actually identical (except for numbers, dates, and such; but no different status announced).

6. tronje

tronje Registered Member

Thanks, but that article refers to the icon used in the upper right corner of the NOD32 window.

My question is however about the icons in the Windows System Tray (the area where also the "system clock" is located).

Still, the link is useful, thanks!
    (And apologies for my late repsonse, I thought I had subscribed to this thread and would be notified, but apparently it didn't work out; probably my bad).

7. tronje

tronje Registered Member

Actually, that seems to be the solution: If I disable the notifications about System Updates (Advanced Setup > Tools > System updates, set to "No updates"), the system tray icon indeed changes from the "i" to the "button with halo".

So that must be it. I hope they put it into the doc.s somewhere ;)
    Thanks!

8. rcdailey

rcdailey Registered Member

Sure, and it prompted me to go ahead and set mine to "no updates." I used to have it set that way but somehow slipped back to "critical." I check updates for Windows on a regular basis anyway, so I don't need a reminder.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.