mcafee

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by bravesrule, Jun 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bravesrule

bravesrule Registered Member

what do you think of mcafee 2005

2. trickyricky

trickyricky Registered Member

As an antivirus generally, it's one of the best with an excellent detection rate. Where it falls down in my experience is that McAfee have a peculiar view of their customers, not allowing them to freely get hold of updates as and when required without passing stringent security checks. The upshot of this is that should you need to reinstall MAV you will have great difficulty getting it running and properly updated unless you fulfil their ridiculous security procedure. Any other AV will be just as stingent with the app itself, but at least will allow the use of updates freely. They are, after all, of no use without the application in the first place, so I can't figure out what they are trying to prove.

As an IT professional, I spend considerable time uninstalling McAfee from systems and replacing it with something with a sensible approach to customers, such as Kaspersky, NOD32, F-Prot and so on.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2005
  3. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

4. JRCATES

JRCATES Registered Member

While I realize this probably isn't exactly what you are talking about, tr....McAfee will be going to a daily update model for home users at some point later this year. Currently, that feature is only available for business accounts...but that will be a very good feature for McAfee home users, because as has been said already, for protection, McAfee is very good....as the detection and removal rate is excellent.

5. trickyricky

trickyricky Registered Member

You're right, it isn't ;)

Daily updates, hourly updates or even minute-wise updates would still be of no use if you have MAV installed yet can't locate your registration details to actually make use of those updates.

What other application can be installed from a genuine CD, yet be completely unusable because the updates either aren't available to you without a username and password for the web site or when you find that you can get the update files from other freeware sources, you can't apply them to the legally purchased and installed product because they simply refuse to see the application as a "qualifying product"?

6. JimIT

JimIT Registered Member

Have you contacted McAfee to see if they can locate your info?

Too many to list. This sounds like an issue that McAfee could possibly resolve for you. I'd contact them asap if you haven't already, and see if they can locate your registration info.

Good luck!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.