McAfee virusscan ?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by lrtrees, Nov 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lrtrees

lrtrees Registered Member

I was moving off topic in the "other firewall" forum so I will move my question to where it belongs. The first question I have is about virusscan v7.03.6000. Is this a home, pro or enterprise application. I did a search but could not find the answer. I see the current home and pro versions are 9.0. I just saw these at Costco. My other question is this. What is the nai web site I see referred to every now and then?

Thanks for your help,
    Lon

Last edited: Nov 11, 2004
  2. liang_mike

liang_mike Registered Member

The VirusScan you saw was probably not Enterprise version. The biggest hint is that you saw it at Costco. However, I don't know if this is home or pro version.

3. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

it is the mcafee ver. 7.0 that updates up to 7.03.6000 It still updates with the latest scan engine[4400] and the latest defs and it is the home edition. and the nai site is the parent company of mcafees site here

4. lrtrees

lrtrees Registered Member

bigc73542, ok, so hopefully last few questions here. As I stated in the earlier in this post I was at Costco today and saw these products. Home, or Personal, VirusScan v9.0 and VirusScan Pro v9.0. The Home version comes packaged with Personal Firewall Plus, while the Pro version is just the VirusScan. It seems to me that the Desktop Firewall that we talked about is set up alittle better. Would you agree? As far as Personal vs. Pro, would you feel one is any better than the other? I know that the Pro version has a spam filter built in. And my last question, if I understand correctly the current version 9.0 is just a updated version of the 7.03.6000. Is this correct?

Thank-you very much for your help,
    Lon

5. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

they have changed the program from version 7 to ver 9 but they still use the same defs and scan engine. Ver 7 doesn't have the security center mcafee saw fit to put on ver. eight and nine them. And as far as the firewall goes usually the pro ver. has more bells amd whistles but I wouldn't say they actually protect you better. The later versions claim to stop worms in e-mail, ver 7 does also it just calls it script blocker but it is the same thing, some of the new ones claim to scan IM but ver 7 scans all incoming in to the comp and that includes IM. I think it all depends how many bells whistles and buttons you like. This is my opinion but it should be fairly accurate.

bigc

6. Shaker

Shaker Registered Member

What are the significant changes between VirusScan 8.0 and 9.0? I see on the McAfee site that 9.0 has inproved e-mail scanning and improved spyware detection. Is there anything else?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.