McAfee VirusScan Enterprise - POP3

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Dave-54321, May 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dave-54321

Dave-54321 Guest

Is it possible to configure McAfee VirusScan Enterprise 7.1 or 8.0i to scan POP3 e-mail accounts?

2. VikingStorm

VikingStorm Registered Member

Only if you use Outlook.

3. Diver

Diver Registered Member

If your ISP or email provider scans email, then you do not have to do it again. An email client like Eudora saves all attachments by default and protects the attachment directory. Your resident scanner will pick it up before you can execute it.

4. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    I wouldn't recommend that. While it's good to see more and more "quality ISPs/hosts" doing SPAM and virus filtering upstream on their systems, you don't know what program they're using to do the antivirus scrubbing. I've seen some that use antivirus programs that I'd not trust, and now and then some viruses get through. So it's indeed good to run your own antivirus program locally too.

5. Dave-54321

Dave-54321 Guest

Anytime a virus is removed from an e-mail by my ISP the following message is added: "This message has been processed by the Brightmail(tm) Anti-Virus Solution using Symantec's Norton AntiVirus Technology."

I have been using Mozilla Thunderbird ever since 0.3 and I have never tried Eudora. Is it much safer?

Thanks,
    Dave

6. Diver

Diver Registered Member

My ISP (and former ISP) have been scanning mail for over three years. In that time I have not received a single infected email. You must feel perfect is not good enough. Furthermore, your local AV's real time protection serves as a back up. Scanning email under these circumstances is a real waste of effort.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.