McAfee VirusScan Enterprice 8.0i

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by PaladinLineage2, Apr 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PaladinLineage2

PaladinLineage2 Registered Member

Just a sort conformation here if possible:

During startup I keep getting the notifaction that an "EntDrv51.sys" Driver/service installation is blocked when I have Service.exe disabled to install drivers/services.

When looking on the harddrive I do see it is a file associated with Mcafee.
    Did anyone find a way to get ride of the message without enabling service.exe?

Unfortunatly I am unable to contact McAfee directly about this *.sys file as they demand a grandnumber before they are willing to look into this driver/service so if anyone can offer me a confirmation about the legality or workaround please post.

Thanks in advance.

P.S.

I use ProcessGuard 3.3b3 (registered) on a Wxp MCE 2005 system.

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Do you have a legal right to use Mcafee 8.0i? If not we can't help you with your problem with it as it is an enterprise app, licensed by corporation and educational institutions which are allowed to let the students or employes use it under the license agreement. Mcafee enterprise is not licensed for home users. since you can not supply the number Mcafee is asking for I assume you are useing it without license. If I am incorrect let me know and we will see if we can help.

bigc

3. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

If you have a site license try over on the McAfee forums, where you will not have to give a corporate grantnumber.

IME, most students, although having a valid license, will not necessarily have access to a grantnumber.

4. bigc73542

Good point. Students usually won't have a grant # but their problems are usually handled by the schools IT department.

5. Blackcat

Probably not in this case though.

Situation here ( a large University ) is that the IT bods will only consider the student work computers which remain on campus. Sounds like here, if he is using ProcessGuard, that it is installed on his home machine. "Your problem" would be their response!!

6. bigc73542

In a case like that I would agree that the McAfee forum would be the best source of information. Thanks BC

bigc

7. Blackcat

PaladinLineage2,

I would still check back here, just in case Diamond have a suggestion for your problem with PG and this AV.

8. Disciple

Disciple Registered Member

Give Service.exe permission to install drivers/services when installing and for the first run, then you should be able to turn it off again.

9. PaladinLineage2

PaladinLineage2 Registered Member

I use it legally with a "campus"-license / educational-license so don't worrry about that. However as stated by others I will not get a Grandnumber as I as a student/employee of a Univerity am not the contract-holder.

Believe me or not but I like my PC's to be clean of anything illegal. This is the main reason I run ProcessGuard btw. I like to know what goes on on my computer and I ofcourse see unwanted software like spyware/malware and the like as illegal software.

Like I wrote before all I need to know now is if there is a workaround to avoid the "false-positive" of EntDrv51.sys driver installation.

10. bigc73542

I wasn't accusing you of doing anything illegal. it is just that we don't give assistance to users of illegal software. Usually when PG flags an action of an app. and you know what is trying to run and know what app it is connected with there shouldn't be any problem with giving it permission to execute. Or you can run PG in learning mode for a while and it might allow it that way also.

bigc

11. buffet

buffet Registered Member

We dont know how to setup SMH for McAfee Virus Scan 8?

12. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

SMH is only applicable to anything with a GUI window that can be exited eg. by clicking the X or using the close button. SMH when enabled on the window will then show an HID (Human Interface Display) which requires copying a set of letters that are displayed into the window after which you will get several close options about the closure.

Please read the help file for an explanation about Secure Message Handling

Pilli :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.