McAfee Uninstall?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Cochise, Nov 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

A friend of mine is trying, without success, to completely remove McAfee from her OS in favour of AVG 7.5.....

Would some kind person know of a programme that will pry all it's little tentacles loose please.....it seems to be sticking in her machine like baby poop to a wooly blanket.....:D

I believe she has the latest version because the subscription runs out in January '07

Regards, Cochise.

2. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

There are articles at McAfee's web site, and there's tool referenced in those articles.

But beware, just last week I tried to uninstall Mcafee.

After uninstalling the Virus Scan and SEcurity Center, when I rebooted there was still a $#%#%% McAfee service running.

I killed that process and rebooted.

3. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

This is the prob she's having....I even told her how to uninstall it in Safe Mode...and it's still popping it's head up and asking for discs and telling her it can't find Files to 'Update' to newer version etc.,!!??...

From what I can see in the McAfee site just sends you round in circles...??...I get the feeling they don't want you to dump them....

I've even Googled and come up with nothing....:rolleyes:

Kipper.

4. Howard Kaikow

Use Add/Remove Programs to REMOVE Virus SCan.
    Reboot.
    Then do the same for Security CEnter.
    Reboot.
    If there is still ANY McAfee service running, kill its process.
    REboot.

5. Legendkiller

Legendkiller Registered Member

6. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

Thanks...but I'm not a subscriber so I have no Login etc., and I certainly don't want to give them any info about me....Just in case:shifty: ...:D :D :D

She says it's not in Add/Remove anymore??.........

Cochise...

7. Howard Kaikow

THen look for and kill the process that is still running.

8. lodore

lodore Registered Member

use process explorer to kill its processes and then use autoruns to check to see if there are any auto runs of macafee and delete them
    hope this helps
    lodore

9. coldplay

coldplay Registered Member

10. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

try a format, that usually gets rid of it :D

11. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

Thanks coldplay...much appreciated.....trouble is she would no way in this world cope with those instructions...:D :D :D...

We live 50 odd miles apart, so it ain't practical to go and do the business for her....I'll try and explain it to her gently...maybe, I can talk her through it...she has nobody else to call on only the 'Mending Man'....:D

All this is a wonderful advert for McAfee eh?....nearly as bad as trying to shack off AOHell....:D :D :ouch:

Cochise.
    PS. Come back Norton...all is forgiven.......NOT!

12. coldplay

coldplay Registered Member

just download the MCPR.exe tool at the bottom of that article, its made by Mcafee. just double click on it then you mcafee removed.

13. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

Your a cruel cruel person C.S.J.......:D :D :D ;)

Kipper.

14. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

hehe, it does work though :D

he should get acronis and do a full backup, then 10 mins later... all fixed back to your backup :)

15. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

Job done dear Friends.....I talked her through the Registryto UNINSTALL and the 'Devil in Disguise' is now history...

Thanks to all,

Cochise....

PS. Please excuse the 'Kipper' Posts...it's my alta-ego coming to the fore..:D :D...Sorry..

16. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

I got a rather weird problem with VirusScan 6.0 that I have on an old Windows98 desktop that started last week. The command prompt call in AUTOEXEC.BAT would attempt the scan on my entire C drive when before it would only scan the root directory and stop there since 1999. I made no change to the program nor AUTOEXEC.BAT. I even went to the DOS prompt and manually entered the same line and the scan would stop after the root directory was processed. It is as if the system is misreading the command prompt during bootup. I then copied the program and linked files to another folder and referenced the program on AUTOEXEC.BAT from there and it would stop after the root directory. :blink: Now all of a sudden when I tried to update the program with the new signature file, it stops and says that I am missing a file (doesn't say which one) for the update process.o_O I finally got fed up and uninstalled it. The uninstall seems to have gone OK and I will install version 7 (current for 2002). I heard bad reviews about versions 8 and 9.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.