McAfee To NOD32 ?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Piper, Dec 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Piper

Piper Registered Member

Hello. This is my first post here. I am currently a McAfee VirusScan user. I've been reading the NOD32 forum a lot and have been thinking of removing McAfee and going with NOD32. Do you think this would be a step up or a step down? I don't have any problems with McAfee, I just want a change. I've checked a few of the virus scan tests, but one does good in one test and the other does good in another test. It gets confusing. What are your feelings about these two antiviruses?

Thank you.

2. bathisland

bathisland Guest

Actually i went the other route. I switched to Mcafee from Nod and i must say i am very happy.

Other users may or may not agree but this is my opinion.

Good luck to you.

3. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Welcome to Wilders, Piper.
    If you were having no problems with your resident AV and it was giving you , as far as you know, full protection, why change? Particularly,as McAfee can be difficult to totally remove.
    But if you want a change, NOD is a good choice. I am presuming you are using the Home version of McAfee AV. If so you should recognise straight away a much lighter effect on your system performance when you load up NOD. You will no longer have to use ActiveX for downloads and definition updates will be much more frequent. Heuristic detection will also be much much better.

McAfee's engine is on par with Kaspersky's for overall malware detection, with NOD a little way behind. But supplementing NOD with a free/commercial Antitrojan program will improve its overall detection rate and give you a layered defence. This may be particularly important if you visit high-risk sites.

4. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

Welcome to the forum, Piper.

I think they are both good and very equal interms of detection with McAfee probably better with trojans. Nod has better heuristics which will come in handy with worms, the heuristics will detect some of them before new signatures are released.

If you have a current McAfee licence, then my advise would be to stay with McAfee if you like it and trial nod when it runs out and see which one you like the most. :)

Last edited: Dec 18, 2004
  5. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

While I would personally call the move to NOD a big "step up" I must say that Dona Pelotas has responded in a manner that nobody can reasonably contradict.

6. Blackcat

Is this Don's beautiful sister? Hands off, Detox, I saw her first! :D

Last edited: Dec 18, 2004
  7. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

LMAO, nice pick up there Blackcat ;) :D

8. Blackcat

Por qué, gracias, Blackspear :D

9. Notok

Notok Registered Member

I think to put McAfee on par with KAV is a little optimistic. I also think NOD32s trojan detection is just fine as long as you don't encounter a lot of zoo malware.

That said, however, if you aren't a real high risk user, the biggest thing you'll probably notice is performance. Very fast and to the point. Not a lot of extras, but it's very configurable.

Although I fully agree with Don Pelota's sentiment of using what you've got until it's expired, if money's not an issue then I don't think you'll be disappointed, although it's always best to use the trial first. :)

10. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Yeah,now define zoo malware? For me,when i can encounter some malware its already ITW,even if it is just me who got it.

11. Notok

Notok Registered Member

RejZoR: ..and have you encountered much that slipped by NOD?

12. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

No,i just pointed out Zoo word definition.

13. larouse

larouse Registered Member

Keep McAfee won't go with NOD you have at Very Very good engine....better at NOD...I went of NOD at McAfee, I put at Nod in the basket...I use McAfee with out any, any probelm.

14. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

LOL...... you have my approval, Blackcat. You won't be able to spent much time at the computer though...... ;) :D

15. Technodrome

Technodrome Security Expert

No really. McAfee has a great engine and it’s able to keep up with KAV. Kaspersky does cover more packers then mcafee though. But in terms of detection rate, they are pretty much equal.

To OP, my suggestion is to keep McAfee till your licence is up.

tECHNODROME

16. dread

dread Registered Member

Up to you. I have used mcafee for years and remove it sometimes to test other av's. I tried nod it was good to. Seen about 4 or 5 of them test sites. Mcafee,kav, and nod always scored high. I don't really go by them to much. One site will say one thing another site says something else. My point is that all of them 3 scored good on them sites if you like to go by that. Why waste more money on another av when you already got a good one.

17. c0ltran3

c0ltran3 Registered Member

18. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Yes, I agree no need to waste money. If you have a good AV which I believe McAfee is. At least wait until the license is near expired or expired before getting a new AV. I just hate to see money wasted. Add additional focused protection like a good AT... Ewido or BoClean or some other choice in security protection. A good AV is only step one then move on and spend money on another but different focused layer of protection. Just my thoughts and the way I spend my limited PC security $$. ;)

19. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

McAfee is very good. Except weekly updates and a bit slow response on new threats...

20. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I have used mcafee for years and have had very good luck with it. There are other good ones out there but there aren't any better ones. but it is a personal decision which one you use, and which one works best on your computer. I have used nod and liked it, I just happen to like mcafee better. As it was mentioned in an earlier post, trial nod after your mcafee license is up and see if it is for you. Not all av's run the same on all computers so you have to take all recomendations of antivirus programs with a grain of salt and try them for yourself.

bigc

21. jlo

jlo Registered Member

Hi,

I agree that Mcaffee engine is great but I did not like the weekly updates (Small but not frequent enough)

If any virus gets rated 'medium risk' or above they put out defs (within 2 hours) but in practice they are often slower than KAV, NOD etc. Also even when released on the web somtimes the update servers were not updated so quickly. I would e mail my Dad to say new Dat is out as there is a virus outbreak and he would say 'its not updated' and when manually click update it says its up to date!!! Then maybe a few hours later or next morning the update would come automatically!

The same goes for Norton. Live update once every Wednesday! I know you can download intecligent updates but the average consumer won't bother. Also slow with outbreaks.

Nod32, Kasperky (or kasperky based product) etc probally your best bet.

Just my 2 pence worth

Kind Regards

Jlo

22. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

errr - what a funny type-o! Luckily for you all I'm married :p

23. Piper

Piper Registered Member

First thing I want to say is, thank you to everyone. Thank you for the welcome also.

said by Blackcat
    The weekly updates are one of the things I'm not too crazy about, but I've never had a virus/worm infect my computer, and McAfee does update when needed. As for ActiveX, I'm not quite clear on that. Does that mean my computer is not as secure as compared to an antivirus that doesn't use ActiveX? Is McAfee the only one that uses it?

There are several reasons why I chose NOD32 as a posible alternative, one was this forum. I think support should be a high priority. JMHO :) McAfee's is not bad. They even have their new live chat. They also have a support forum, but not as helpful or friendly as the people are here. The people here seem more willing to help you with a problem than they do over at the McAfee forum. Again, just my opinion, but just look at the response I've had here. I don't think I would get such a response there. Maybe not a good criterior to make a decission on an antivirus, but I think it is.

I'll just have to think about it some more. I have a little less than a month before my license is up.

24. Blackcat

For IE users, updating the 'Home' McAfee, there are known security problems when using ActiveX; http://www.vlaurie.com/computers2/Articles/activex.htm

But recent versions of VirusScan can use non-IE browsers for updating;

http://forums.mcafeehelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=34970
    http://forums.mcafeehelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=32480
    http://forums.mcafeehelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=36585&highlight=virusscan updating firefox

25. Firefighter

Firefighter Registered Member

I agree your statement. Every malware, that you can get by just using Google, isn't Zoo malware, it isn't in the cage where you can't reach to.

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.