Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by JRViejo, May 10, 2015.
McAfee Stinger Removed From App Directory Due to Malware-Like Behavior by John T. Haller.
Confirmed mfevtps.exe existence in my PC. Running in the Task Manager:
Running under Services:
Running a test, I fired up McAfee Stinger (both Stinger & Raptor present in the Task Manager):
After closing Stinger, Raptor was still enabled. Ended that process, then ended the mfevtps.exe process via Task Manager:
I was able to remove mfevtps.exe from the C:\Windows\system32 folder.
Last night, before shutting down the PC, ran CCleaner's Registry Cleaner, and found this issue:
Saved a backup, and removed the issue. Possible side effect of removing mfevtps.exe:
1. A McAfee icon was present on the taskbar after booting up this morning. It was Raptor.
2. Raptor.exe was showing in the Task Manager.
3. The McAfee Validation Trust Protection Service was not present in Services.
4. Right clicked the McAfee icon, and selected Remove Raptor. Both icon and .exe disappeared.
5. Removed & deleted both the Stinger64.exe and stinger.opt from my Downloads folder.
We'll see what tomorrow brings.
Before shutting down the PC last night, ran CCleaner's Registry Cleaner again, and found this issue:
Saved a backup, and removed the issue. This morning, no signs of McAfee Stinger anywhere!
FYI. McAfee Stinger Portable has been added back to the PA Platform Apps. Read the comments at the end of this page:
Separate names with a comma.