McAfee Site Advisor?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by firzen771, Oct 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

mcafee has recently been rising in the rankings from its past, and was wondering if their site adviser product was getting better as their AV is, or is it the same old unreliable site adviser that it used to be?

anyone tried it out recently?

2. HAN

HAN Registered Member

I haven't and don't intend to. They were ramping up the bloat with each new version and when they finally ran a full-time service, I said forget it. I went with WOT and have never looked back...

3. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

The business versions are ok, but I always find it comical that their way of progressing the product is swallowing companies.

4. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

There were some privacy issues with this a while ago so I stopped using it since there are plenty of alternatives available.Performance wise i found it to be quite effective though.

5. lordpake

lordpake Registered Member

The free version does defend its place IMHO besides WOT.

They do have some issues with rogueish sites, which can't be clearly seen as malicious (this observation is from my point of view as experienced reviewer).

Newest version which I am using seems to function nicely in my Vista laptop. The mcsacore or such service doesn't seem to take that much resources. Disabling safe search for firefox and browser add-on for IE worked.

It should be noted that I don't really trust any one product in this field (for various reasons, WOT does have its downside too) and I do employ LinkScanner Free from AVG, WOT and SiteAdvisor in various combinations in the computers I use :) w/o too great impact on my surfing experience.

6. Fly

Fly Registered Member

Privacy issues, yes.

I haven't used it for quite a while, so I don't know what it's like now.

The last time (version 2.8?, not sure) I read the privacy statement/terms of use (or whatever it was called) and I decided that was unacceptable.

At the time I used McAfee VirusscanPlus, which included the SiteAdvisor.
    I removed the SiteAdvisor. Later I downloaded a separate SiteAdvisor, not from a McAfee website. Unlike in the past, it was automatically integrated with the SecurityCenter. :blink:

I never looked back.

7. lordpake

You downloaded what and from where? o_O

I just checked with my Vista laptop, removed and re-downloaded/re-installed SiteAdvisor Free version from SiteAdvisor website.

Software does not integrate with Security Center. I wasn't even asked about it.

8. Fly

Fly Registered Member

I checked your 'system info'', and it didn't list McAfee.
    You're not using McAfee ?
    Then what does the statement 'Software does not integrate with Security Center' mean ?

I didn't download it from a McAfee website. And the last time I downloaded and installed it, the SiteAdvisor was automatically integrated in the McAfee SecurityCenter.

9. lordpake

Then you should have specified that you mean mcafee securitycenter, not windows security center.

Confusion in my part is completely understandable (since your vendor chooses to use terminology also used elsewhere).

Also, my sig is only for main desktop. Not for any of the laptops for example ...

10. Fly

Fly Registered Member

Well, I said 'SecurityCenter', not 'security center'. Not my fault.
    Besides, it's not my vendor, I ditched McAfee many months ago.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.