McAfee program update>Can't start windows.

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Tarq57, Oct 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

A friend has asked me about this. He has XP SP2, (Home, I think) and McAfee Virus Scan+ (I believe it's this one ) and following a program update yesterday cannot get past the "welcome" screen in Windows. It hangs, doing nothing.
    He can get into safe mode, has tried "last known good" with no joy.
    I've suggested trying a System restore from safe, and if no luck, uninstalling McAfee from safe.
    A quick browse of the McAfee forums (Gee, They're huge , and there's no forum marked "problems with McAfee" or similar) reveals nothing.
    There's a Wilder's thread here which may possibly be somewhat related...I don't know.

Anyone (a) got any better advice, (b) heard of this happening within the last day or so?
    Thanks.

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I received the mcafee updates every day they are released and I haven't had any problems with my Virusscan plus at all on Vista.

3. drkoopz

drkoopz Registered Member

Agreed, VirusScan Plus works exceptionally well on Vista.

4. Niels

Niels Registered Member

Try this press on alt+tab to switch to restoring network connections,press enter when you see an error message.

5. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

Computer is unresponsive...windows hangs before it finishes loading. It's the whole OS that won't load (except in safe), not just the network connections.

6. Niels

Niels Registered Member

Mostly when windows got stuck on the loading settings screen is due an error on the network. Normally you will see an error message but that isn't visible when you try what I said you can confirm that message and boot normally. So you can still try it.

7. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

Alright, shall I tell him to try that input when the PC hangs on loading? Or before? And if before, when during the startup?

8. Niels

Niels Registered Member

When the pc hangs on loading personal settings (it could be have a different name in the English version). If that fails do that on the log on screen where you have to enter your password press 2x ctrl+alt+delete and after that do the same thing.What you also can try after the windows loading screen keep the shift button pressed and see if you can get in windows.

9. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

I don't think it makes it that far, but I'll ask him.
    Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.