Mcafee Patches Its Products..

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Legendkiller, Aug 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Legendkiller

Legendkiller Registered Member

I would like to bring to attention that Mcafee has released the long overdue patch for its 2007 range of products.
    The patch canbe availed through updates.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Here are the version numbers for the core components:

Security Center: 7.0.329
    Firewall: 8.0.203
    Privacy Service: 9.0.382
    Spam Killer: 8.0.239
    VirusScan: 11.0.213

The patch will be delivered to everyone who has the new software installed as an automatic update. You can trigger the update by right-clicking on the McAfee icon and selecting "Updates" (or by hitting the Update button in the Security Center).

The following list highlights the most commonly reported issues that are addressed in the patch. We have also addressed a number of issues only detected in our QA labs.

NOTE: This patch will reenable several of the McAfee services if you had them disabled. In general, we don't recommend disabling services, as doing so can reduce your security in unpredictable ways. (Note: Any settings that you changed through the Security Center will be preserved, this note applies only to services that were disabled with the Windows service manager)

Issues addressed in the patch:
    - Inbound and Outbound email is no longer erroneously blocked
    - Performance when checking for email improved (especially for customers with multiple email accounts)
    - A bug that caused emproxy.exe to occasionally go into a tight loop and occupy 100% of the cpu has been addressed
    - Several issues that could cause application errors in emproxy.exe have been addressed
    - Outbound FTP in passive mode is no longer blocked
    - Printing via network printers is no longer blocked
    - A bug that caused updates to stop being received after a few successful updates has been addressed
    - Script scanning will now stay disabled if disabled through the Security Center
    - Install will no longer fail if a file called "Documents" exists in the root directory of the system volume
    - A bug that could cause system crashes (blue screens) in mfehidk.sys has been addressed
    - AOL browsing performance is no longer be extremely slow with Privacy Service installed
    - ActiveSync synchronization is no longer blocked
    - The "no firewall" alert, while it is still a red alert, will now allow users to tell Security Center to ignore this alert
    - Users will no longer repeatedly receive erroneous warnings that Windows Update is disabled
    - Several products that were previously marked as incompatible will no longer be flagged (this includes Ad Aware)
    - Skype is no longer blocked
    - An issue that could cause web pages to be blocked with the error message "The web page has been blocked because the main service is not running." has been addressed
    - Shredding the recycling bin no longer occasionally results in an error message being displayed.
    - The NTFS filesystem metadata will now no longer grow and get fragmented
    - QuickClean no longer cleans Microsoft ActiveX controls - this means that the error some people were experiencing where their version of Windows was reported to not be authentic will no longer happen.
    - QuickClean will no longer clean System Restore points by default
    - Internet connection sharing is no longer blocked by the Firewall
    - The number of events logged has been significantly reduced - this will limit the growth of the log file and also prevents mclogsrv.exe from occupying as much CPU

Issues not addressed in the patch:
    - There is an interaction issue with a component of the Venturi Network Client and a component used by Spam Killer and Privacy Service that causes extremely slow browsing and errors while browsing. A fix is currently being tested and will be released in another patch.
    - When a new Internet Explorer browser is started, the script scanning engine introduces a delay of a few seconds. A fix is in development and will be released in a future patch. Note: We do not recommend disabling script scanning - a recent study has determined that a large percentage of Internet threats are delivered through "drive by" sites (which script scanning protects you against)
    - A system crash (blue screen) reported by several PeoplePC users has not been addressed - We are looking for people who are willing to work with us to track down this issue; We have been unable to reproduce this issue in-house. Please respond to the PeoplePC thread in the VS11 forum if you're willing to work with us.
    - E-mails from certain sites (notably pop.iocc.com) can be blocked if SSL authentication is enabled.

2. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

It seems the original McAfee 2007 product line release is a RC. So many bugs addressed. :eek:

3. ASpace

ASpace Guest

But fixed :D :D :D

4. Legendkiller

especially the stupid bug which wouldn't allow any other AS/AT to install...
    thankfully now i can install spyware doctor.

5. Frank the Perv

Frank the Perv Banned

Yes, it appears now that you can run both McAfee and Ad-Aware.

I tossed Ad-Aware overboard and didn't really miss it when McAfee made me uninstall it -- but I still kind of liked having it on there just as a back-up check.

But according to the Big Dumb George Bush thread, the two are now compatable.

http://forums.mcafeehelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=89652

6. maddawgz

maddawgz Registered Member

i have the 3in1 on disc..i think it can sit there , btw is it better then avast? if it gets fixed in the future i may try it out again but its prob still slow even with the fixes ? md

7. Legendkiller

i don't why people don't trust mcafee/norton much,but in my opinion these two are the oldest and they are indeed one of the best.
    the only problem is due to problem it causes on pc sometimes,but it works very well with my pc and in my view it is better than avast

8. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

I gave the new McAfee 3in1 trial version try. It slowed my computer down a lot. Web pages took a long time to open. Needless to say, I no longer have it on my computer. My ISP, Comcast, offers McAfee free to its customers, but I haven't checked to see if the new McAfee is available from Comcast yet. I'd like to try it again to see if the patches helped with the slow down problem, but I'll wait to see what the word is at the McAfee forum.

9. Legendkiller

gray,
    i experienced the slowdown of internet while using internet security suite,so i switched to 3-in-1.
    it did slowdown the start-up of my winxp account a touch,but rest of the things were fine.

10. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

Glad to hear it's working ok for you. Maybe when Comcast upgrades to VS 10, I give it another try.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.