McAfee or NAV lower in mem usage?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by t.westwood, May 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. t.westwood

t.westwood Guest

Hello Ladies and Gents,

Can any tell me which of these two AVs is lower in mem usage and has the fewest running processes? I looking for the AV with the least resource usage of these two AVs. Also anyone could add which AV they would say is the better at detecting viruses ect.., of just these two AVs, if they would like to? Thank you.

2. Wake2

Wake2 Registered Member

my experience with mcafee and nav
    was that mcafee used less resources
    and was better at overall detection.

3. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I wouldn't go as far to say mcafee has better detection than Nav but mcafee will run lighter on the average computer.

4. VikingStorm

VikingStorm Registered Member

Don't know about memory usage, but NAV always made my start-up longer (from when windows loads to useable) by about 20-30 seconds. Since it came with the computer, I thought that was normal (NAV seemed fine after start-up). McAfee didn't seem to have that same amount of impact at start-up. So in relation to this machine with a bad bad motherboard, that's my experience.

5. colorado13

colorado13 Registered Member

McAfee.

6. iwod

iwod Registered Member

Agree with Bigc. But Mcafee certainly have better Heuristic than Symantec.
    And from my experience it is lighter as well. Although from i see when i tested out Norton 2005. It surely was miles better than the old 2003/2004 version in terms of resources usage.

I can't say for sure. But from what i remember Symantec Enterprise and Mcafee Enterprise both have more than 4 - 5 process running at the same time.

7. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

McAfee Runs lighter, detects *slightly* better, does good registry cleaning of malware and has better generic detections.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.