Mcafee forum no help

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by MRSCT, May 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MRSCT

MRSCT Registered Member

I have been going to the forum in order to find out what is script stopper. I have asked directly "WHAT IS STRIPT STOPPER. " I have never received an answer. Does anyone here know? Also they asked about running my spyware. I posted it and still got no answers. o_O

When I start the compter from the welcome page, it goes to my dexktop. It takes a while before I can start. The red box comes up showing that Mcafee is loading. Then the problems start. I get a box that pops up that says suspicious script. If I push allow nothing happens, there are a few choices I can choose from. After pushing the buttons a few more times, it finally lets me in. The M icon turns black from red. I guess I'm not being protected at that point.

They asked if I had run an antivirus test. This is the results:
    Please explain "SCRIPT STOPPER" I still am not sure what it is. Ran spybot and had 18 problems.

CoolWWWSearch 1
    Advertising.com 2
    Avenue A Inc 1
    DoubleClick 1
    DSO Exploit 7
    Media Plex 1
    WebTrend 7
    Should I just press fix?

2. Primrose

Primrose Registered Member

New!—Script Stopper
    Many of the fastest spreading viruses, like I Love You, use scripts to infect your PC. VirusScan 7 stops new malicious threats from infecting your system with Script Stopper. Script Stopper detects, alerts, and blocks malicious script actions to keep your computer safe from script-initiated threats. It adds an extra layer of protection from the most common type of infection method for consumer viruses.

But in your case if spybot found all that stuff on your PC..then somone using that PC is downloading programs and services that most likely has bundled spyware..adware and malware that is still installing on your PC since that action circumvent the very purpose of the Security products you have.

So McAfee is just warning you it is detecting them on your PC trying to either call out to load you up with more junk..or they are trying to run script on your PC..

Let Spybot S and D clean off what it can..but be careful since some should be done other methods or you could lose your internet connection.

3. MRSCT

MRSCT Registered Member

I have lost my internet connection on my other computer. Couldn't use winsock fix, it wouldn't work. I put that computer away, hoping that sometime this summer I can work on it. :cool: I loaded 1 of the spyware programs suggested by this forum then the internet quit working :(

4. Primrose

Yes..well that happens because many do not realize that some of the current malware should only be cleaned certain ways once you identitfy it, like newdotnet and many of the lop and CWS stuff..and you need more than winsock fix thingie so you might want to try lpfix but that is a whole other story.

The systematic approach is better and laid out here very nicely by Charlie

Dealing with an infected PC

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/security/expert/russel_infectedpc.mspx

And if you have WinXP ..Michael's Site is great..all the subjects in the right hand side of his pages are a goldmine to anyone who has to reinstall..repair..or restore XP along with many other topics that will save your butt. :D

http://michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html

5. Primrose

So if your first post up there..is now your second PC..I fear you are headed down the same path with that one :oops:

6. MRSCT

MRSCT Registered Member

I should have come here first. I located my problem with my other computer in the wrong section of this forum. I am so happy with this site, everyone is so helpful and help break things down to my level :D
    MRSCT

7. Primrose

Well let us take a crack at fixing the one you put in the closet sometime..might not be easy for you to give us all the info you can remember..but if it is not hardware problems..I am sure we can get it back on line.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.