Mcafee firewall preset unchangable rules

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by vincenzo, Aug 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vincenzo

vincenzo Registered Member

It seems that the McAfee firewall wants your default browser (Internet Explorer in my case) to default to Full Access, which means it allows unsolicited incoming as well as outgoing communication.

I see no need to allow unsolicited incoming, so I changed it to allow outgoing only, but on reboot it changes it back to Full Access.

It does the same thing with svchost.exe.

On the McAfee forum I was told that this is by design and cannot be changed. Am I being paranoid in seeing these as unnecessary security risks?

Thanks

Last edited: Aug 8, 2006
  2. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Hello vincenzo,
    I did install Mcafee to check due to another post, I also noticed that all Macafee applications where by default given (and on re-boot, reverted back to) "full access"

My personal view, is that this is possibly very dangerous, and should not default to such rules.
    NO,...to allow inbound connections is unnecessary, and should be left to the user, normal browsing/internet use does not need your browser/PC to allow inbound connections, and is a possible security risk.

3. vincenzo

vincenzo Registered Member

OK thanks for that info.

Incidentally, this happens on the Tight security setting, the highest setting (other than Block All).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.