McAfee 9. How's it on resources?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by vincevega, Feb 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vincevega

vincevega Registered Member

Does anyone know how McAfee is on resources? What does it compare to? I just tested the new PcCillin and was impressed. I used it a couple of years ago and it became quite the hog but pretty nice now.

2. Ailric

Ailric Guest

After recently testing demos of NOD32 and KAV 5 and PC-Cillin I am back to my full version of McAfee 9.0. McAfee loads a number of modules at startup but most are extremely small. I find no slowdown whatsoever in any program while using McAfee. It also starts up pretty quickly. With superior ratings in various tests over NOD32 and PC-Cillin and less system impact than KAV 5, McAfee 9.0 is a good choice.

PC-Cillin is a nice AV but McAfee usually kicks it tail in tests.

3. Ga1tar

Ga1tar Registered Member

I would hold fire there in aking that statement if I were you with regards to McAfee v9 kicking butt. There is a growing issue as to the effectiveness of the scan engine. I am using it on one of my machines and it is not detecting all viruses thrown at it, which is detected by PC-cillin.

4. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Ga1tar,

are you sure about that? Because all the tests say McAfee does very well. Could I have more details on your issue? Which malware did you test with?

5. Ga1tar

Ga1tar Registered Member

Current issues with virusscan 9 includes its prevention in accessing emails both receiving and sending, please note this is known and I believe currently being looked into. More concerning from my point of view is that when you can receive emails that the scanner is failing to detect virus attachments correctly. An example would be I get at roughly 40 emails which lately have been infected with w32/bagle.ai@mm, of which at least 40% slip through undetected. I have to manually scan for every email with attachments and quarantine them until I can have them scanned independently.

6. visiting

visiting Guest

Can you point to some places that have some documentation, users, etc., that are having these issues with McAfee ver 9. This is the FIRST of heard of those claims that you are making. You say is it "known and currently being looked into"......by whom?

7. Diver

Diver Guest

This thread points out one of the problems with AV testing. The typical AV test is an on demand scan of a bunch of unarchived malware. There could be major defects in the real time components that would not show up.

8. Ga1tar

Ga1tar Registered Member

Take a look at the forums where you will see some of the issues currently being experienced. If this link is not allowed may i apologise to the mods for my error

http://forums.mcafeehelp.com/

9. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

Hope this isn't too far off topic. Why do the weekly virus defs take so long to download and install? When I trialed VS 9 that is what I found annoying and I have cable internet connection. Is this normal or is just my system?

10. Spray-on Dust

Spray-on Dust Registered Member

Well I was using McAfee 9 from whenever it came out until about 10 minutes ago actually, when I decided to install a trial of NOD32. I have a P4 1.9ghz system with 512 mb's of ram and my pc would never slow down enough for me to throw a fit. Every so often there would be hiccups when watching video in WMP 10 or playing music in iTunes if I had McAfee 9, PrevxHome, SpySweeper, ProcessGuard Free, Zone Alarm Free and TDS-3 all running at the same time but they were just small hiccups once in a great while.

If I wasn't browsing the net with Firefox, I would sometimes disable SpySweeper since I think it uses a lot of resources/ram/whatever and that would always take care of the hiccups.

As for NOD32, it could be placebo but I think I notice a small difference in speed between McAfee and eset. Eset seems to be a little lighter on my system.

I picked NOD32 because someone here linked to a site (I think it was Virus bulletin) that showed NOD32 with 23 passes and 3 fails and McAfee with 18 passes and 18 fails. Out of all the virus apps listed, NOD32 had the best numbers so I went with it. We'll see how everything is after 30 days...

Spray-on Dust

Last edited: Feb 2, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.