MBR Restore questions

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Seventh-77, Jan 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Seventh-77

Seventh-77 Registered Member

Greetings all,

I recently ordered a dozen licenses for use at work, and am today just getting started working with TrueImage. I've hit a small snag, and was hoping someone might be able to help me out.

I have a Dell Latitude D800 that I'm looking to make an image of. Here's what I've done so far:

1. Ran TIW, went through the create backup wizard. I selected my primary NTFS partition to make an image of, skipping Acronis Secure Zone, and saved that image to a file server.

2. Loaded the management console on my own machine, and booted the D800 from the Bootable Agent CD. I then was able to connect to it without any problem from the Management Console.

3. I went through the restore process, selecting my image from my fileserver, and all seemed to go smoothly.

The problem that I'm running into is that the disk image didn't seem to include the boot loader - or otherwise didn't overwrite the boot loader during the restore process. I have two hard drives - the original that I made the restore image on, and another with Linux on it that I restored the image to. It seemed like the restore process went through properly, but the boot loader on the machine post-restore is still GRUB.

So my question then, is how do I get the boot loader into the backup image, or if I'm going about the restore improperly, how do I tell TIW to overwrite the MBR on the target machine as well?

Any insight would very much be appreciated. Cheers!

2. foghorne

foghorne Registered Member

The MBR is automatically backed up, even with an individual partition (since v9). When you restore, the dialogue which you are shown to choose which source partition to put back also includes an option to restore the MBR.

F.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.