MBR Question

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by brandis, Feb 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Ed,

If you restore the full disk image to another disk it will certainly be bootable. Acronis True Image will take care of it. It doesn't matter that your new disk size is different from the previous one.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

2. airjrdn

airjrdn Registered Member

Note that Ilya said "single partition" and your question asked about "whole disk". Evidentely, that's the distinction.

I think it breaks down to:
    Image a disk? You can restore it (bootable if necessary).
    Image a partition? You might not be able to restore it and have it bootable.

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello airjrdn,

Let me correct you a little bit.

Image a disk? You can restore it (bootable if necessary).
    Image a partition? You will be able to restore it but it might not be bootable.

It means that all the data will be transferred anyway and in case you deal with data partition (without system files) you will always obtain a perfect result. This might not be the case if you have system partition.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

4. airjrdn

airjrdn Registered Member

Exactly. That was my understanding, but my wording wasn't clear. Sorry about that.

5. Ed Y

Ed Y Registered Member

Thanks Ilya and everyone else. I've got it straight now. Appears I'm pretty well covered for major disasters with the HD.

6. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello Ilya,

Hmm, I must have done something wrong in that case (not unusual I assure you!!). I recently restored a full drive image of my main, 2 partition, hard drive to a new, unpartitioned, unformatted, larger drive. During the restore process TI didn't seem to allow me to drag the partition size slider to fill the unallocated space on the new drive. No big deal for me really as I just used Acronis Disk Director Suite to resize the restored partitions as necessary.

Kind regards
    Tom

7. jimmytop

jimmytop Registered Member

This has been my experience as well. You are stuck with the original partition size until you can use something to re-size the partitions.
    But I also, as you know, have been known to screw up ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.