MBR errors and "INVALID OPERATING SYSTEM", after CLONE or IMAGE to new drive. HELP!

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by treefayre, Jul 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. treefayre

treefayre Registered Member

I have read many threads on here about similar problems, but none have helped me. My set up is as follows:

Windows XP,SP2
    4 sata drives (2 500GB, 2 300 GB)
    Acronis TI v9

I have successfully cloned my 300GB sata drive to a 400GB sata drive. I remove the old drive and replace it with the cloned drive (ensuring that it is now the master drive to boot from in BIOS), all boots up initially, drives identified, and the Acronis f11 screen appears. Then I get a series of MBR errors: 1, 2, 3. I am then instructed to boot from floppy. I have tried cloning on 3 separate occasions, and also done so from disk image, and each time this happens. I have also used Norton Ghost and get the same error.

Reading the forums I have read of similar problems, and tried many of the remedies: Windows XP fixmbr...that got rid of the MBR errors, but then I get the error: "Invalid Operating System". I have also tried cloning from the rescue boot CD only, same error. I have tried removing all other hard drives, same error.

Furthermore, when I put my original hard drive back in, it no longer boots up properly, but either hangs on the Windows log in screen, or I get the blue screen of death. I then have to image the drive from a back up to get it working again.

Please, somebody with knowledge of this problem, point me in the right direction, as I am close to insanity with this.

Thanks in anticipation.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2007
  2. thomasjk

thomasjk Registered Member

Re: MBR errors and "INVALID OPERATING SYSTEM", after CLONE or IMAGE to new drive. HE

What build of TI9 are you running? If not B3677 or B3854 download and install either and make a new Rescue CD. You said you have 2 500GB & 2 300GB yet you said you cloned the 300 to a 400. Could you clarify what you actually have? Did you install the Acronis Startup Recovery Manager? Booting from your hard drive into windows shouldn't give the F11 unless you did. I'm no expert on the SRM so I might be wrong. You may want to read thsi Acronis Secure Zone and Startup Recovery Manager for some help. We need more details on your hard disk layout, partitions etc.

3. treefayre

Re: MBR errors and "INVALID OPERATING SYSTEM", after CLONE or IMAGE to new drive. HE

Hi thomasjk, and thanks for your help. I am using build 3567 of TI9, so will update as you suggest.
    I am cloning one of my Maxtor 300GB drives to a Western Digital 400GB drive which will replace the 300GB drive. The 300GB drive is partitioned. Whenever I boot the computer, I get a message to press F11 if I want to load Acronis TI rescue centre. Do you think disabling this will make a difference?

I will read your link.

Thanks again.

4. jonyjoe81

jonyjoe81 Registered Member

From my expierence, anytime I ever get incomplete bootup of a restored drive, it's always been a changed drive letter. This happens mostly on systems with windows xp and multiple hard drives. It's a 5 minute fix if you have the right utility's. First use the demo of "paragon justboot corrector" to bootup your computer and check what your partitions drive letters are (your system partition needs to be c: drive). The only programs that I know (and have tried on actual hard drives)that can change drive letters (on the fly) are "paragon justboot corrector" and "vcom partition commander pro version 10" both are bootcd's that work on unbootable hard drives. That's what your problem sounds to me, It's a quick thing to check and verify.

download demo here
    http://www.justboot.us/boot_corrector.htm

this link shows how to change drive letters with freeware
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=174958

5. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Have you tried removing the Maxtor 300GB boot drive and replacing it with the WD 400 GB drive. Then restore the image that you use when the Maxtor is unbootable to the WD drive. If the WD drive is good, it should boot just the way the Maxtor does.

This assumes that you are restoring an image of the entire hard drive. If you are restoring an image of only the C partition and the Maxtor has more than one partition, then make a new image of the Maxtor and select the entire drive. Restore that entire new image to the WD drive.

Booting is only "guaranteed" when the entire drive is restored.

6. treefayre

Thank you both for your helpful posts. I'll try the things you advise soon and report back.

Regards

Ian

7. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello treefayre,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

Note that as thomasjk said and as described in the thread he mentioned message "Press F11 for Acronis Startup Recovery Manager" during bootup indicated that Acronis Startup Recovery Manager is activated on your computer. Using it should not affect clone disk process.

Please perform the clone process using the latest build (3854) of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home and see if the issue persists. Note that in order to get access to updates you should first register your software.

Also create a new Acronis True Image Bootable CD using the latest build.

Should the issue persists with the latest build, please provide us with some additional information so we could investigate the issue.

Please connect both hard drives (source and target) to the computer and create Acronis Report as it is described below:

- Download and run Acronis Report Utility;

- Select the "Create Bootable Floppy" option;

- Insert a blank floppy disk in the A: drive and proceed with creation of the bootable floppy;

- Boot the computer from this diskette and wait for report creation process to finish;

- Collect the report file (report.txt) from the floppy.

This would provide us with detailed information on the hard disk partition structure.

Please also let us know the exact message you received. If it is possible please use a digital camera to make shots of the error message.

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.