MBR Error 3

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by caulfiek, Aug 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. caulfiek

caulfiek Registered Member

Hi
    Getting an "MBR Error 3" on boot and OS selector no longer appears.

Running XP SP2. Noticed that I also got a RunList error on the main windows partition but that this was fixed with chkdsk and I still have the MBR Error 3.

I've made no changes at all to my system other than having windows update running in background. Could this be a windows updated problem?

Should I uninstall OS Selector and reinstall perhaps?

Is the MBR Error 3 error a major problem?, otherwise it doesn't really bother me. I only had OS selector installed from when I had Linux dual booting on my PC (I no long use Linux on this PC).

thanks

K

2. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

There have been other posts on this subject.

Basically this is not a major problem, as you've possibly found, the error shows up and then XP loads as normal.

It is caused by OSS getting itself de-activated (causing the MBR to point to a non existent sector) - the Acronis solution (at the moment) is to boot from the rescue CD and re-activate OSS and it should disappear.

More info in this thread

Colin

3. caulfiek

caulfiek Registered Member

Thanks, yes that what I found, but for me it was an omen of worse things to happen (my HD was defective).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.