MBR + C: (only) Clone to another HDD?

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by k_ansas, Mar 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. k_ansas

k_ansas Registered Member

I'm about to pull the trigger on a purchase here and I have the Paragon Demo loaded but I'm not finding the choice I want and I'm wondering if I have the wrong product or if it is even possible to do what it is I want:

Windows 7 Hdd 1 has a recovering + Mbr +C: + empty
    I want to clone the master boot record and C: onto a smaller hdd. I don't want the 13 gigs of recovery partition nor the empty.

Maybe I don't want the MBR because it will be wrong. Is it possible to just clone the C: partition and create a master boot record?

2. Mech_An

Mech_An Registered Member

There is speco\ific Paragon tool for such kinds of migration: Migrate OS to SSD.
    It is designed to migrate only system partition + MBR + boot partition (System Reserved) if exists.

As it doesn't have any limitations for non-SSD drives, you can use for system migration to any HDD type.

Please have a look at:
    http://www.paragon-software.com/technologies/components/migrate-OS-to-SSD/ stand-alone tool
    or DC11 PRO with Migrate OS to SSD included
    http://www.paragon-software.com/home/dc-professional/

As a secondary solution:
    You can use Copy Partition wizard to copy your system partition to another HDD. It will be written to MBR automatically.
    Then you will probably need to use Windows Repair CD for Startup Repair.
    To create Repair CD:
    * Click Start, All Programs, Maintenance, Create a System Repair Disc
    * Insert a CD/DVD into the drive and press Create disc

3. k_ansas

By using either solution it will create the partitions automatically or do I still have to manually create the partitions with a separate program?

4. Mech_An

I'm not sure I understand your question.

Copy\Clone means that copied Partition will be placed to the target drive.
    Copy \ Migration will wipe all the data on target drive.

What other partitions you want to create?

5. k_ansas

I guess I don't understand you statement:
    Copy/Clone means that<br>
    "copied Partition will be placed (to) the target drive."<br><br>

Copy \ Migration will wipe all the data (on) target drive.

So if there is data on the target drive it will not wipe said data if I choose Copy/Clone?

Does (to) mean the same as (on)?

I think you mean that I do not have to do anything with the target drive except make sure it is clean and not partitioned - that - Paragon Copy/Clone will take care of everything.

But if I use Copy/Migrate then I have to create the partitions for the process to work.

I won't apologize for seeming obtuse, but it is these little words that seem to start wars and lose data on hard drives.

I want to believe that SSD and Hard drive can be interchanged here but I cannot find one place where is states that (as the target drive) so.

It must be truly excruciating to have to deal with those of us who are so many steps behind in the learning curve.

6. Mech_An

OK. Let's cancel English lessons.

It will wipe all data.

Yes.

No. You should not do anything like this. Migrate OS to SSD \ Drive Copy or another Paragon program with copy HDD\partition functionality will take care of everything.

SSDs are distinguished from traditional hard disk drives (HDDs), but they use the same interface as hard disk drives, thus easily replacing them in most applications
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solid-state_drive

7. k_ansas

I've just returned from visiting the town - and my kin - from whence I grew up. I happened to need a trim so I stopped by the local Barber. As I sat down, waiting my turn, the Barber - John - asked his latest customer how short he wanted it (I'm sure he was referring to the hair trimming that was about to take place) and his customer said "A fair piece, start'in to look shaggy." There in that town, they put gas in the car. Where I've lived for 17 years, they put gas on the car.

It astounds me, how some foreigners command our language and yet those that would make English the only language spoken, can barely speak it.

I do thank you for clarifying your instructions. I've asked similar questions and have to say that, most will not or cannot reword the instruction set.

I appreciate the time you've taken and the effort made.

8. Mech_An

I'm sorry if my reply appears to be rude. I did not mean to offend you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.